This is an opportunistic job posting. Our team is currently fully staffed, but if you would like to stay in touch about future opportunities, please submit your resume!
Gradle is the build tool of choice for millions of developers around the globe and is the official build tool for Android applications. Developing Gradle requires sophisticated machinery that runs a comprehensive suite of tests, including running performance tests on every commit to the source repository. As pioneers and promoters of the Developer Productivity Engineering discipline, we are constantly looking for ways to optimize our own developer experience.
We are looking for a passionate Developer Productivity Engineer with a demonstrated ability to accelerate developer productivity through optimizing speed and reliability of feedback cycles and increasing the degree of automation.
About the Project
The Gradle Build Tool project is thoroughly tested on different operating systems, Java versions etc. Also, all performance tests run on every commit to the source code repository. As a result, about 80 thousand tests run before integrating a change into the main branch and 40 thousand builds run every week on our CI system. This presents a big engineering challenge on its own and requires a sophisticated infrastructure using hundreds of build agents, including dynamically added capacity with AWS, and a Kubernetes cluster for test distribution.
To learn more about how the Gradle Build Tool project is built, see also the interview with Stefan Wolf, the current leader of our Developer Productivity Team at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MSxJPhr4Eo.
- Helping a growing team of 20+ engineers to improve their productivity
- Optimizing a large Gradle build at https://github.com/gradle/gradle
- Optimizing a CI pipeline at https://builds.gradle.org/
- Designing and implementing Gradle plugins
- Designing and implementing bots integrating with various systems such as GitHub
- Implementing and improving monitoring of developer productivity metrics
- Organizing processes and helping to eliminate frequent errors and flaky tests
- 5 years of software development or developer productivity engineering experience
- Experience developing and maintaining non-trivial Gradle builds
- Experience with CI/CD and configuration management systems
- Experience programming in Java, Kotlin, or Groovy
- Ability to troubleshoot build issues and flaky tests
- Understanding of modern software development techniques and practices
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
- Experience with Linux, macOS and Windows administration
- Experience with configuration management systems such as Ansible
What We Value
- Passion for making other software engineers more productive
- Delivering useful high-quality solutions
- Pragmatism in execution and getting things done
- Open communication and respect for each other
What We Offer
- Work on a widely used product with a clear vision for the future
- Close collaboration with experienced and dedicated peer engineers and the opportunity to learn from them regardless of your experience level
- Opportunities for growth in technical and leadership responsibilities
- In-person meetings, such as our annual company offsite, team meetings, and onboardings
- Work from home in a remote-first environment
- Competitive salaries and equity grants
Benefits & Perks
- A focus on learning and development – Gradle offers an annual learning and development stipend and a monthly company-wide Learning Day, where we encourage all team members to focus on their professional development for the day
- A hardware package that includes a laptop, monitor, other peripheral hardware, and a home office stipend to make sure you are fully set up to work remotely
- Generous paid time off
- Paid public holidays
- Volunteer Day – We offer up to 8 hours of paid work time each year for team members to give back to their local communities
- Anywhere in the world with working conditions that allow for seamless collaboration with your colleagues through email, chat, and video streaming
While our team works remotely and is spread across the globe, we deeply value daily interactions and collaboration.
How to apply
The following is required with your application:
- Submit your cover letter, answers to our application questions and resume via the form below
The next steps will follow our recruitment process.
We are committed and skilled software engineers, product designers, and marketing experts who are passionate about developer productivity. We take pride in delivering products that are relied upon daily by some of the world's leading software organizations, such as Netflix, LinkedIn, Airbnb, Spotify, Twitter, and Atlassian.
We are a diverse and inclusive workplace with a global multicultural team that learns from and respects each other. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion forward by investing resources in company-wide inclusion trainings, improving recruitment processes and contributing to groups that are committed to advancing racial/social justice and equality.
Gradle is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, citizenship status, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.
Visit our careers page to learn more about the company and see other open positions. Visit Glassdoor to read what current and former Gradle employees have to say about the company.
For information about our collection, use, and disclosure of applicants’ personal information as well as applicants’ rights over their personal information, please see our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.