Gradle Inc. is the company behind the award-winning open source Gradle build tool and the commercial platform Gradle Enterprise.
We help software engineering teams to create a productive and joyful developer experience. You can learn why we believe it’s crucial and some of the ways our products help in our book.
About Gradle Build Tool
Gradle is the build tool of choice for millions of developers including state-of-the-art software engineering organizations like Netflix and LinkedIn, the official build tool for Android applications, and the most popular choice for new open-source JVM projects.
About Gradle Enterprise
Gradle Enterprise is a SaaS platform that derives deep insights from our customers' Gradle and Apache Maven™ build data and presents them in a thoughtfully crafted, feature-rich UI that lives on top of a carefully architected, scalable back-end.
About the Team
All of our products are crafted by exceptionally committed and skilled developers, product designers, and marketing experts. Everyone at Gradle cares deeply about our company, our products, our customers, and the build automation domain in general. Our team is globally distributed but interacts daily through various communication channels. We value interpersonal relationships and all of us meet in-person annually to connect as a group.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is essential to our values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
The Gradle Developer Advocacy team, which exists to raise awareness of developer and build engineer pain, and the solutions provided by Gradle’s offerings, is looking to add a Developer Advocate to the team who will focus on the developer experience of the Gradle build tool.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
These are things Gradle would expect from you:
- Improve existing and create new Gradle documentation, samples, blog posts, and other content.
- Make users aware of useful and new Gradle developments.
- Foster the Gradle community based on principles of inclusion, kindness, and professional respect.
EXAMPLE WORK PROJECTS
These will help you get an idea of what kinds of tasks to expect. It depends a bit on your skillset and what we decide together to focus on.
- Work with one of our partners to write a joint blog post.
- Create short tutorial GIF or screencast demonstrating a new Gradle feature.
- Research and write a guide showing Gradle best practices.
- Create a portal for users to browse and search for samples.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
These are traits that we think are especially helpful to succeed in this position:
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Passion for developer tools and a desire to make developers successful through Gradle.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and tools.
- Self-motivation, organization skills, and discipline to get things done in a remote environment.
- 4+ years related experience in software engineering and/or developer advocacy.
- Personal experience with Gradle, Maven, and/or Bazel.
- Excellent written and verbal English skills.
- Experience with current software development practices and tools
- Advanced Groovy and/or Kotlin skills
- Current or previous involvement in developer tooling communities such as Maven, Bazel, or NPM.