Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emit more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities that are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our launch product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for scaling our commercial partnerships and furthering the deployment of Gradient’s low carbon heat pump. You will be the first official Gradient business development hire who will manage and will grow a robust pipeline across several verticals, build relationships, close deals and launch a ground-breaking improvement in comfort, design, and low-carbon heating and cooling.
The Director of Business Development, who will report directly to the Chief Revenue Officer, will also interface closely with the marketing team and other cross-functional teams to build a world class brand.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing and executing business development strategies to position Gradient as a preferred provider in the commercial space
- Closing deals (signing LOIs) with targeted commercial partners
- Driving profitable revenue to meet and to exceed Gradient sales targets
- Tracking and monitoring business development and sales metrics, as well as implementing actions to improve sales performance, and identifying opportunities for growth
- Acquiring and identifying key marketplace, industry, economic, and consumer feedback, including competitive information, customer expectations, and industry trends
- Communicating customer and prospect product pain points to marketing, product, operations and engineering teams.
- Managing current inbound and build outbound sales pipeline
- Partnering with marketing to develop case studies to align with target verticals
- Sourcing, developing and manage leads and sales activity at every stage of the sales funnel
- 10+ years of business development experience developing and managing growth strategies with partners and customers
- Demonstrated track record of success in negotiating and closing commercial transactions
- Proven ability to communicate effectively both in person and virtually with a range of audiences that include but are not limited to executives, contractors, vendors, government officials, architects, commercial building property owners, installers and other key stakeholders
- Industry experience in one or more of the following areas: commercial or residential solar, energy storage, energy efficiency involving a hardware product, green building, energy service companies (ESCOs), renewable energy, or other equivalent electro-mechanical hardware technology
- A strong motivation to work with a technology that directly addresses climate change
- Strategic mindset; self-motivator with high energy level and enthusiasm towards activities and goals
- Entrepreneurial spirit with excellent business acumen and ability to work autonomously
- Collaborative personality
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds and capable of facilitating Gradient installation demonstrations
- Bachelor’s degree
New York City Metropolitan area. This is technically a remote position yet the Director of Business Development should reside in the New York City Metropolitan area due to frequent in person meetings in NYC.
10% travel (east coast)
190k – 235k + equity
- Medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Professional Development Stipend
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- Relocation package (out of state applicants only )
Pacific Search Firm
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.