Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emit more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities that are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our launch product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
As a Thermal Research Engineer, you will select thermal components and design heat pump subsystems. You will be expected to understand the effects of component-level design decisions on system-level performance through experiments, modeling, and simulations. You will collaborate with other teams to integrate these components and subsystems into heat pump products.
We are looking for…
- Develop thermodynamic devices with novel form factors and groundbreaking efficiency to cut carbon emissions and expand access to healthy, comfortable buildings
- Design and optimize heat pumps by guiding the choice of components and operating parameters
- Use modeling tools to understand thermodynamic, flow, and heat transfer processes
- Design and run experiments, process and understand results, and identify paths forward
- Collaborate with designers, controls engineers, and mechanical engineers to incorporate designs into products
- MS in Engineering or Physics OR BS in Engineering or Physics and 3 years of experience in thermal engineering
- Fundamental understanding of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer
- Experience with analyzing data from physical sensors to draw conclusions about larger systems
- Experience with building/assembling/troubleshooting mechanical and/or thermal systems
- Experience with instrumentation and data collection (LabVIEW, Arduino, etc.)
- Proficient with creating physics-based models using Matlab, Python/SciPy, or similar to gain system insight and drive product enhancements
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to cross-functional audiences
- Heat pump/AC design experience
- Software development experience
- Medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Professional Development Stipend
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- Relocation package ( out of state applicants only )
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.