Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emits more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities who are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our launch product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
We are looking for a Shop Manager to oversee shop operations and maintain a safe, organized, and comfortable work environment.
- Establish systems that ensure an efficient, clean, and safe workshop including organizing the production space, collaborating on new floor plans, and hiring and overseeing contractors.
- Maintain a safe workspace including understanding and satisfying regulatory requirements, organizing and conducting safety training, updating and organizing safety documentation, ordering PPE, adjusting workstation ergonomics, and working with safety consultants and inspectors
- Work with supply chain, accounting, and engineering staff to create and maintain an inventory system to track incoming, stored, and outgoing materials
- Package and ship domestic and international shipments. Understand shipping requirements and hazardous materials requirements for air freight, ocean freight, and ground freight shipments.
- Purchase and maintain shop tools and equipment, keep an updated equipment log, track equipment calibration, and maintain tools and equipment
- Lead shop tours for new staff and outsiders
- Help engineers and assembly staff build, test, and modify prototype heat pumps and test fixtures
- Collaborate with the Gradient team to make and maintain a space that is comfortable, useful, and inviting to all people.
- 4-year college degree or degree/certificate from a 2-year technical college
- 3+ years of leadership experience in a shop environment
- Experience with set-up, operation, and maintenance of machine shop equipment
- Understand machine shop best practices and safety requirements
- Experience with materials shipping, receiving, inventory, and tracking
- Organized and meticulous attention to detail is a must
- Ability to use a computer to log information, write reports, and send email
- Effective communication and interaction with team members, shop users, suppliers, customers, and guests
- Experience with machine shop tools and CAD is desired but not required
- Medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO within reason
- Relocation pack ( out of state applicants only )
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.