Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emits more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities who are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our launch product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
This leader will drive the manufacturing team charged with the productization of our first generation cooling and heating system. You will work in close partnership with the head of operations and the executive team to set the company’s vision for taking products from prototype to volume production. Your exceptional leadership, vision, technical aptitude and ambition for building & growing an industry-leading organization will be key in our success. You have the mindset that anything is possible and possess the influence to inspire the team to do whatever it takes.
The ideal Senior Manufacturing Engineer candidate will have a proven track record manufacturing complex fully-integrated hardware products from development to commercialization. In this position you will be responsible for providing vision and leadership while also engaging in a hands-on capacity. Putting in place operating processes to ensure Gradient meets its production and quality target will be critical to our success.
- Lead Gradient’s manufacturing strategy for existing and new products.
- Develop manufacturing process and test processes for prototype and final assembly lines.
- Efficiently manage BOM and design changes, with minimum impact on product launch timeline.
- Lead capacity and throughput plan in a medium to high volume environment.
- Validate manufacturing trials and improve yield, downtime, cost, quality, safety, etc.
- Own and report Quality, Reliability & Yield metrics, for components and sub assemblies.
- Perform supplier audits for processes, products, and systems.
- Manage non-conformance process and materials.
- Lead change management, document control and data management processes.
- Validate bill of materials for EVT, DVT and product builds.
- Work with contract manufacturing partners to define optimal assembly layout for maximum throughput.
- Ensure material and line readiness for manufacturing trials.
- Provide consistent feedback to engineering /program manager teams on DFM and yield impact.
- Develop and provide weekly production plan reports to the executive team.
- Supervise process verification builds, by utilizing statistical tools.
- Experience working with manufacturing equipment: robotics, tooling, automation, sensors, and material handling.
- Familiarity with ISO 9001/IATF16949, and ISO 14001 systems and standards.
- 1+ years leadership experience within a hardware product driven company.
- 4+ years of manufacturing and design for manufacturing experience
- Experience managing the resolution of cross-functional challenges including manufacturing, engineering, quality, supply chain, integration and test of mechanical, electrical, and software systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Master’s degree in Engineering
- Quality Certifications(nice to have): ASQ, CQE, CQT, CQA, Six Sigma, 8D problem solving, FMEA.
- Ability to travel globally, including trips to China, Mexico and the EU (once Covid is over)
- Medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO within reason
- Relocation package ( out of state applicants only )
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.