Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emits more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities who are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our launch product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
Our mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it - without compromising the environment. We are looking for an Engineering Technician to build and test prototype heat pumps that reduce the environmental cost of building heating and cooling.
- Build, test, and modify prototype heat pumps in order to measure and improve their thermal performance and reliability
- Document test procedures and test results, help troubleshoot based on experimental findings
- Design and fabricate custom test apparatuses and equipment
- Establish and maintain an efficient, clean, and safe workshop including organizing the R&D space, selecting and maintaining equipment, and refining processes
- Collaborate with a small team of technical staff and engineers to advance Gradient’s product including brainstorming, material and component selection, and prototyping
- 4-year college degree OR degree/certificate in HVACR from a 2-year technical college
- Experience in a lab environment: experiment planning, execution, and documentation (it is OK if lab experience is from school)
- Hands-on experience assembling and fabricating mechanical components.
- Effective communication and interaction with team members, shop users, suppliers, customers, and guests
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds for short distances; ability to climb ladders, move from place to place, bend, stretch, grasp, reach, kneel, and twist
- Authorization to work in the United States
- CRF-certified universal technician by an EPA-approved institute
- Work experience with air-conditioning, brazing, plumbing, electrical, and electronics assembly
- Familiarity with DAQ hardware and software for data logging and test automation (such as LabVIEW, LabJack, etc.)
- Experience with machine shop tools such as mill, lathe, and CNC equipment
- Knowledge of Solidworks or other CAD/CAM software
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.