Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emits more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities that are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our launch product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
The ideal Senior Manager of Mechanical Engineering product hardware team was charged with the design and optimization of our first-generation cooling and heating system. You will work in close partnership with the head of engineering and the leadership team to set the company’s vision for taking products from prototype to volume production. Your exceptional leadership, vision, technical aptitude, and ambition for building & growing an industry-leading product will be key to our success. You have the mindset that anything is possible and possess the influence to inspire the team to do whatever it takes.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record designing complex fully integrated consumer hardware products from development to commercialization. In this position, you will be responsible for providing vision and leadership to the mechanical design team while also engaging in a hands-on capacity. Putting in place operating processes to ensure Gradient meets its design and customer experience targets will be critical to our success. Title for this role is flexible based on applicant’s experience.
You consistently deliver awesome products.
- You are a compassionate and energetic team leader who brings out the best in everyone. People love working with you and as a result, your teams deliver amazing results.
- Lead the design strategy and execution of Gradient’s products including focus on fit and finish, design for manufacturability, and design for customer experience.
- Provide hands-on expertise through each build phase identifying, prioritizing, and solving problems quickly and efficiently.
- Drive models and CAE analysis for mechanical part design and performance, such as FEA for stress/strain, airflow, and thermal management.
- You are an expert in design for manufacturability, especially around large sheet metal and plastic components.
You are enthusiastically driven & collaborative.
- Manage the mechanical design engineering team. This role starts with having direct reports.
- Set milestones and track deliverables for the mechanical engineering team, while keeping stakeholders informed of project progress.
- Inspire the team to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex solutions in a commercial, mission-critical environment.
- Develop strong cross-functional relationships embracing teamwork, agility, and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Lead design reviews, provide technical feedback and guidance, mentor other mechanical engineers on the team.
- Collaborate with product development engineers and industrial designers, to implement the desired look and feel of Gradient’s products.
- Scope out projects from concept through full product life-cycle, and identify resources needed to accomplish tasks (e.g. consultants, vendors, new hires, etc.)
- Work with customer experience teams to identify and prioritize issues from first devices deployed at product launch, and standardize processes to solve issues.
- Experience with setting up and rolling out engineering data management systems (PDM, PLM).
- Experience triaging and setting processes for addressing product quality and customer service issues.
- 2+ years of leadership experience within a hardware product-driven company.
- 8+ years of designing consumer hardware products for volume production.
- Expert in CAD (Solidworks) and CAE analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Ability to travel globally, including trips to China, Mexico, and the EU (pending COVID outlook).
- Medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO within reason
- Relocation package ( out of state applicants only )
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.