Gradient’s mission is to cool the world by transforming every home to be more comfortable and healthy for the people who inhabit it — without compromising the environment. Today, heating and cooling equipment emits more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, and expansion in the use of cooling is projected to double these emissions in the next 30 years. However, comfortable buildings are critical for health and productivity, especially among communities who are vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Gradient’s vision is a future where everyone has access to comfortable buildings that are fully decarbonized. Our launch product is a direct-to-consumer high-efficiency and low-carbon heat pump.
We are looking for someone to lead our products’ design verification and validation strategies, write test protocols, design test equipment, and execute on verification plans, to ensure market and product specifications are met.
- Own verification and validation (V&V) plans for Gradient’s HVAC products as they transition from product development into pilot production.
- Lead V&V discussions with all stakeholders across engineering and product development teams to surface design issues and prioritize test plans.
- Write test protocols to ensure product specifications are met.
- Design and build new equipment and fixtures for V&V testing.
- Work with the production and hardware teams to develop testing fixtures and assembly stations for design verification and online testing for manufacturing quality and reliability.
- Develop and maintain excellent documentation, while actively contributing to Gradient’s quality management system.
- BS, MS, or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Shared commitment to building world-positive businesses and products, from climate change mitigation to design as a tool for increased human well-being.
- Ability to work with and communicate with engineering and business teams, manufacturing facilities, external testing labs, and partner suppliers.
- Ability to work independently and adapt quickly to a dynamic startup environment, and to seek additional help/resources when needed.
- Experience with prototyping and fabrication of mechanical assemblies.
- Experience in the mechanical design and/or manufacturing of consumer products which have entered the market.
- Working proficiency in Solidworks.
- Experience with Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing best practices around root cause analysis, design of experiments and statistical tools for determining sample size.
- Experience with Design for Manufacture and Design for Assembly of systems with mechanical, electrical, and software components.
- Familiarity with ISO 9001 or other similar quality standards.
- Previous experience working on IoT products or in the HVAC / energy sector.
- Experience specifying test equipment for fluid, airflow, and thermal systems, i.e. component selection of pumps, fans, heaters and accurate measurement with tools such as anemometers, thermistors, flowmeters, etc.
- Experience with writing C++ (Arduino) or Python scripts to automate system data collection and analysis.
- Medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO within reason
- Relocation package ( out of state applicants only )
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Gradient Comfort is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.