Who we are:
Grabango is the leading provider of checkout-free shopper technology for existing stores. Founded by Will Glaser (technology founder of Pandora Media), the Grabango team has developed the only enterprise class solution for large store chains in the market today. Grabango's system accommodates thousands of store locations, hundreds of thousands of SKUs and millions of square feet across a given retail enterprise.
We're a growing group of kind, curious, self-directed people working towards a common goal. We delight in taking risks and testing hypotheses in a collaborative and supportive environment. Our ability to celebrate both our successes and failures as milestones of growth opens the door to tremendous breakthroughs.
Computer vision and machine learning are at the core of our patent pending technology. Our accomplished team is a powerful combination of technology and commerce professionals that are working to “Eliminate lines and save people time!”
We use computer vision, machine learning, and general feats of information processing to understand shopping, eliminate checkout lines, and save you time.
The experience of leaving a store without stopping to checkout feels like magic. We're making that magic happen behind the scenes by processing data gathered from distributed sensor networks, turning sets of isolated observations into coherent narratives.
This full-time role reports directly to the Director of Computer Vision and is based in Berkeley.
What you'll be doing:
- Collaborating across multiple research and engineering disciplines and assessing technology tradeoffs required to rapidly deliver software solutions
- Analyzing, designing and developing software for embedded and cloud platforms focused on solving complex and as yet undefined machine learning problem
- Getting up to speed on our various systemsLearning about our technology and how/why we will use machine learning
- Reviewing our tools and code to help us continue moving at state-of-the-art speed
- Collaborate on current projects while understanding our development process
- Contributing/leading new projects, tools and frameworks to understand and use our computer vision data as part of a machine learning pipeline to provide checkout-free shopping
What you should have:
- 5+ years as a Machine Learning Engineer
- 5+ years experience using some combination of Python and/or C++
- Ability to design and prototype software in simple, understandable code
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices in an Agile environment
- Ability to build tools to extracting useful information from, label and analyze video data
- An understanding of the computational trade offs needed for real-time machine learning applications
- Familiarity with libraries/packages/APIs (e.g. scikit-learn, Keras, PyTorch, TensorFlow, etc.)
- Familiarity with linux/unix Familiarity with different ML models (decision trees, random forests, support vector machines, neural networks, nearest neighbor, ensemble of multiple models, etc.)
- An understanding of how different ML pipeline pieces work together and how to communicate with them (using SQL database queries, REST APIs, etc.) and the ability to build appropriate interfaces for your component that others will depend on
- Familiar with ML Experiment at scale, ML experiment artifacts management and Machine Learning model deployment.
- For the stack : Google compute for cloud computing. Spark/Dataproc for experiment at scale, mlflow for experiment management.
Education & Certifications:
- PhD or equivalent industry experience in a relevant field and demonstrated application of Machine Learning
Integrity: Do the right thing, particularly when you don’t have to.
Bold Innovation: Think recklessly, but temper your actions with pragmatism.
People Matter: Hire the best, and treasure them.
Don’t Live with Broken: Have the courage to admit mistakes, and the urgency to correct them.
Customer Focus: Deliver beyond expectations, both internally and externally.
Inclusion: Foster an environment that welcomes all.
Simplify: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Grabango is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing a workplace where diversity and inclusion are an essential part of who we are. We strive to hire and support a workforce as diverse as our shopper base, so we can develop products and services that best suit our customers. We do not make employment decisions based on race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status and we comply with all local, state and federal employment laws.
Grabango participates in the E-Verify Program, an internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration. It allows employers to confirm an individual’s employment eligibility to work in the United States.