Purpose of the Job – Why does the job exist and what is it designed to accomplish?
The Research Scientist will identify, develop, characterize, and formulate novel additives, solvents & salts used in the formulation of electrolytes. They manage the completion of research projects, which includes developing strategy, assigning tasks and monitoring progress throughout the project. As a head scientist on a project, it is the responsibility of a Research Scientist to organize the research effort and report on the project findings. According to Gotion’s quality systems, the Research Scientist follows proper protocols for testing procedures and documentation. The Research Scientist can be given the opportunity to supervise Chemists when needed within a project.
The incumbent is responsible for identifying, developing, characterizing, and formulating novel additives, solvents & salts used in the formulation of electrolytes. The incumbent contributes to the support of the global R&D Technology Center team members and local Technical Service Engineers in recommending electrolyte solutions for regional customer problems. The incumbent interprets application challenges into feasible solutions, visits customers with the marketing team to understand their needs and plays a key technical role in commercializing electrolyte products for two to three key regional customers. The incumbent also plays a key role in developing the technical capabilities of the R&D Technology Centers. The position recommends and develops new products within the capabilities of the Electrolytes business for internal and external customers.
Knowledge and Experience – What skills, training or experience are needed to perform the job?
- PhD in Chemistry or Materials Science (or related field) and minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in an industrial laboratory environment, or MS degree in chemistry (or related field) and minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in an industrial laboratory environment required
- Advanced understanding of battery or energy storage systems, specifically in the area of non-aqueous electrolytes required
- Background working with battery systems and electrochemical testing required.
- 4 years minimum experience in direct communications with internal customers
- 2 year minimum experience in direct collaborations and communications with external customers.
- Experience working with air-sensitive and moisture-sensitive reactions and processes required
- Synthesis and formulation expertise in battery materials and systems required
- Experience in project management is required
- Ability to develop new technical concepts connected to business needs
- Strong work ethic and problem solving attitude
- Strong customer focus
In addition to the required Gotion global competencies, highly developed proficiency in the following competencies must be evident and demonstrated:
- Analytical Thinking
- Work management
- Project Management
- Written, verbal and presentation skills to communicate directly with customers
Principal Responsibilities – Four to eight brief statements indicating what is done (Action), how it is done (Method or Means) and why (End Result). (Use additional sheet of paper if necessary).
- Manages research and application product development projects, coordinates project work within the local research groups
- Attends and presents group experimental data at internal Gotion meetings
- Researches select R&D topics related to electrolytes, electrodes and batteries with an understanding of their potential commercial impact.
- Interacts with key customers to develop a strong commercial focus to determine market needs in the battery industry and propose and implement technical solutions.
- Monitors the needs of the group and organizes purchasing of items <$5K within site budgetary guidelines.
- Directs the activities of assigned technicians, chemists and technical service engineers to complete project objectives; mentors reports in their scientific career
- Files monthly report to direct supervisor
- Ensures good housekeeping in laboratory and storeroom. Disposes of waste and obsolete materials according to Gotion, local, state and federal rules and regulations. Attends and helps to lead all required training sessions and follows/monitors all safety regulations.
Nature and Scope – How does this job fit into the overall scheme of operation?
- Work environment (extent of interaction with Supervisor(s) for approval, concurrence, resolution, etc.):
- Incumbent will work under limited supervision.
- Business environment (economic or technological conditions dealt with on a regular basis):
- Gotion R&D is an emerging global business unit which operates in a highly dynamic and constantly changing market environment.
- Internal and external relationships (nature and frequency):
- Interaction with organizational peers within the Battery Materials business unit and the broader Gotion research organization.
- Supervisory responsibilities (total number supervised):
- Zero to three direct reports, with chemists/engineers as assigned.