The Analytical Scientist works to identify, develop, characterize, analyze, and formulate novel additives, solvents & salts used in the formulation of electrolytes for lithium ion batteries. They operate, maintain, and interpret data from site analytical equipment, and evaluate and make recommendations for new analytical equipment. They manage the completion of research projects, which includes developing strategy, assigning tasks and monitoring progress throughout the project. As a head scientist on a project, it is the responsibility of an Analytical Scientist to organize the research effort and report on the project findings. According to Gotion’s quality systems, the Analytical Scientist follows proper protocols for testing procedures and documentation.
The employee contributes to the support of the global R&D Technology Center team members and local technical employees in recommending electrolyte solutions for regional and global customer problems. The incumbent interprets application challenges into feasible solutions and uses on-site and off-site analytical instrumentation to provide guidance and direction to meet the goals of the site. The incumbent also plays a key role in developing the technical capabilities of the Gotion Ohio Technology Center.
Principal Responsibilities –
- Manages research and application product development projects, coordinates project work within the local research groups within the analytical services group.
- Researches select R&D topics related to electrolytes, electrodes and batteries with an understanding of their potential commercial impact.
- Interacts and coordinates project planning and product development activities directly with analytical capabilities of the site.
- Proactively moves projects towards completion in time-efficient manner (short to medium term projects/topics)
- Helps with the preparation of proposals for outside funding opportunities through writing editing, proofreading, researching and assisting the team involved in the process.
- Interfaces with outside collaborators and grant partners through meetings, calls and emails by sharing relevant information and contributing to the overall success of the program.
- Leads preparations for internal and external audits, including writing and documenting processes and helps to implement those processes.
- Leads process and safety reviews and prepares documentation.
- Directs the activities of assigned technicians, chemists and technical service engineers to complete project objectives; mentors reports in their scientific career
- Attends and presents group experimental data at internal Gotion meetings
- Files monthly report to direct supervisor
- Ensures good housekeeping in laboratory and storeroom. Disposes of waste and obsolete materials according to Gotion, local, state and federal rules and regulations. Attends and helps to lead all required training sessions and follows/monitors all safety regulations.
Knowledge and Experience – What skills, training or experience are needed to perform the job?
- BS degree in chemistry (or related field) and minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in an industrial laboratory environment, or a MS degree in chemistry (or related field) and minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in an industrial laboratory environment, or a PhD in Chemistry or Materials Science (or related field) and minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in an industrial laboratory environment, required
- 2 years minimum experience in direct communications with internal customers
- 1 year minimum experience in direct collaborations and communications with external customers.
- Extensive background in advanced analytical instrumentation.
- Advanced understanding of battery or energy storage systems required
- Background working with battery systems and electrochemical testing required.
- Experience in project management is required
- Ability to develop new technical concepts connected to business needs
- Strong work ethic and problem solving attitude
- Strong customer focus
In addition to the required Gotion global competencies, highly developed proficiency in the following competencies must be evident and demonstrated:
- Analytical Thinking
- Work management
- Project Management
- Written, verbal and presentation skills to communicate directly with internal and external customers