GoPro makes it easy for people to celebrate and share experiences. We believe life is more meaningful when shared. We build cameras, software, and accessories that help the world share itself in immersive and exciting ways.
GoPro is a global movement whose business is driven by shared experiences. We celebrate diversity. We practice inclusion. We foster belonging, diversity and equality. And we share the experiences of individuals and communities who also hold these values as core to who they are.
GoPro is seeking a highly motivated, self-starter who thrives in a dynamic, team-oriented environment. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting and advising GoPro’s software and cloud product teams on a wide variety of matters related to GoPro products, including feature/technology development, data privacy, and regulatory considerations. This role will also ensure that GoPro’s software and cloud products comply with relevant laws and rules by monitoring trends in the tech industry, regulatory environment, and practices among peer companies, and counseling the software and cloud product teams accordingly. The individual in this role is expected to work closely with clients to understand their needs and help them meet business goals.
The Product Counsel role will report to the Associate General Counsel and be a team member in supporting overall product launch plans and compliance initiatives for both hardware and software products. The role can be based either in San Mateo or Carlsbad, California.
- Partner with members from the software and cloud product management teams throughout the product development lifecycle on a broad range of legal issues with an eye to mitigating risk.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests from our software engineering and product management teams summarizing and communicating concepts those groups can apply.
- Ensure compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with user privacy, consumer protection, and advertising.
- Review, draft, and negotiate licenses and other similar agreements.
- Demonstrate successful ability to integrate and work well with legal, product management, software and cloud engineering, and other internal business partners.
- Enjoys building strong client relationships and works well with cross-functional teams at all levels – engineers, senior management and execs alike.
- Engage with outside counsel as appropriate.
Skills We’re Stoked About
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal departments.
- In-house experience at a technology company in a software product counseling capacity is strongly preferred – experience with hardware product counseling and privacy is a plus.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Exceptional ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with poise in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Strong consumer protection, software and cloud product risk management is required.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently deliver outstanding, thoughtful, user-experienced focused results.
- Flexibility and ability to recalibrate advice in view of shifting priorities, legal developments and risk tolerance with poise and patience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- High integrity and excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy are essential.
- Seasoned at quickly adapting legal advice to cutting-edge, nuanced and continuously evolving technologies and product offerings.
- Fully-stocked kitchen with snacks galore
- Live it. Eat it. Love it. – Two dedicated hours during your week to explore your passions and capture it with your GoPro.
- Get your very own GoPro (Mounts and accessories included)
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- 401(K) matching
- Discretionary Time Off
- 12 weeks paid Parental Leave for new parents
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance – premiums are 100% paid for employees, 80% paid for dependents
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Employee commuter shuttles
GoPro is an Equal Opportunity Employer.