We want to make work and study more efficient and enjoyable, by providing the best digital paper solution possible. We plan to be the go-to tool for all forms of notes. Our digital paper and learning ecosystem inspires anyone to take notes, share what they know, collaborate with others, and learn as a community
—Be visionary, strategic, and open to innovation
Build great things
—Work in service of our users, always improving and pushing higher
—Take responsibility with bold decision-making and bias for action
Win like a sports team
—Be trusting and collaborative while empowering others
Learn and grow fast
—Never stop learning and iterate fast
Share our passion
—Share ideas and practice enthusiasm and joy
Be user obsessed
—Empathetic, inquisitive, practical
About the team:
The Legal team consists of Group General Counsel and a paralegal. This role will report to the Group General Counsel.
About the role:
As a legal counsel at Goodnotes, your role will be to offer legal support in various corporate, commercial, and regulatory legal matters, including GDPR compliance support. This encompasses creating customised commercial contracts, examining and negotiating agreements with suppliers/customers, providing legal guidance to internal stakeholders, and establishing strong compliance governance policies for the organisation. The Legal Counsel should collaborate with the Group General Counsel to effectively delegate tasks among team members.
This is the role for you, if you’re excited to work on the things listed below:
- Assisting with drafting, reviewing, and negotiating various commercial agreements such as NDAs, IP licences, SaaS, reseller agreements, cloud services, and IT procurement agreements.
- Collaborating with the Group General Counsel for GDPR and AI policies.
- Providing regulatory training to stakeholders regularly.
- Collaborating across departments and actively engage in regulatory initiatives.
- Collaborating with the Group General Counsel to manage junior staff and ensure workload delegation.
- Working closely with the Group General Counsel to effectively manage budgeting and external counsel relationships.
- Working and liaising with external lawyers for the projects that have been outsourced.
- Providing precise legal guidance on issues that impact the organisation
- Working with third parties, including regulators, as needed.
- Offering legal expertise in regulatory compliance, data protection, intellectual property, employment law, and other relevant fields, and advising and counselling the company's key stakeholders on the legal implications of strategic decisions and business activities.
- Any other duties, functions or services consistent with the role of Legal Counsel, as determined by the Group General Counsel.
The skills you will need to be successful in the above:
- Qualified to practise in the EU
- 3-5 years of post-qualification experience, with a background in in-house and private practice at a reputable law firm.
- Extensive knowledge in regulatory and compliance matters, e-commerce and AI regulations.
- Strong skills in commercial contracts, stakeholder management, communication and engagement.
- Understanding of EU regulatory laws, consumer protection laws, and GDPR.
- Ability to think outside the box and considers commercial and legal viewpoints when resolving issues.
- Excellent collaboration skills, involving actively listening and seeking to understand different perspectives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
Even if you don’t meet all the criteria listed above, we would still love to hear from you! GoodNotes places a lot of value on learning and development and will support your growth if needed.
The interview process:
- An introductory call with someone from our talent acquisition team. They want to hear more about your background, what you are looking for, and why you’d like to join Goodnotes
- A call with our General Counsel, your hiring manager, to discuss your background more in detail
- Another call with our General Counsel to dig deeper into your skillset for this role
- A meet the team interview where you get to speak to a few of the stakeholders you'll be working closely with
What’s in it for you:
- Meaningful equity in a profitable tech-startup
- Budget for things like noise-cancelling headphones, setting up your home office, personal development, professional training, and health & wellness
- Sponsored visits to our Hong Kong or London office every 2 years
- Company-wide annual offsite
- Flexible working hours and location
- Medical insurance for you and your dependents