G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, Lifehacker, Quartz, The Root, The Onion, The Takeout and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
We're looking for an Editorial Director (ED) to lead our talented, sharp and passionate journalists in G/O Media’s growing portfolio of trusted sites, which deeply value engaging our audience in fearless and honest journalism. This is the top editorial role in our organization, reporting to our CEO. The ED will need to work collaboratively to guide and support our individual editorial leaders and to help drive editorial excellence and success around audience engagement. This is not a daily hands-on editing role but one that, at its core, is about leadership, mentoring, partnership and vision.
This is also a role the works with the business side of the company on a regular basis. Helping to educate the sales and marketing team around the latest editorial efforts as well as representing the reader / user perspective with the product and development groups.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Providing the strategic and day-to-day direction related to content across all properties
- Serve as the final newsroom voice on all editorial choices.
- Represent the interests of our journalism and our audiences in broader interactions with appropriate business functions across the company.
- Juggle a vibrant daily newsroom’s many needs with ambitious, long-term projects.
- Attract and help retain amazing talent across G/O Media's sites.
- Have, share and keep building on new and innovative journalistic approaches and thinking.
- Oversee the Associate Editorial Director, on organizational, management and newsroom-wide mentoring tasks.
- Partner with leadership to help create and drive strategy to help grow G/O Media’s reach.
- Play key role around union discussions, deliberations and negotiations
- Active presence in the NY Office as well as periodic travel to the Chicago and LA offices
- Partner with Audience Development, Legal, Product, HR, Finance, etc… to deliver on broad corporate goals
- Unflinching commitment to impactful multi-media journalism and the editorial mission of G/O Media.
- 10+ years relevant management experience working as a senior editor in a fast-paced, constantly evolving digital publishing environment.
- Impeccable integrity and ability to support our editors in making tough journalistic calls in fast-moving news cycles.
- Skills to help develop and execute on ideas that can expand G/O Media's current audiences in a deeply collaborative, transparent setting.
- A sound understanding of the evolving digital media landscape, our critical place in it, and how our newsroom can continue to help G/O Media engage and find new audiences in the US and abroad.
- Deep, applied understanding of the centrality of visual journalism, digital video and social media to our journalism.
- Experience in working collaboratively with in-house product/platform and video teams to figure out more ways to enable greater reach for our journalism.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational skills
This role is based in our New York City office.
The salary for this position ranges from $300,000.00 to $350,000.00
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences, and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.