G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
The A.V. Club is one of digital media’s most distinctive and respected entertainment brands, is looking for a Los Angeles-based Features Editor. The person in this role will play an essential part in shaping The A.V. Club’s coverage of films, TV shows, streaming services, music, and games.
The Features Editor will report to the Editor-in-Chief and will work closely with other A.V. Club editors and writers to deliver the kind of sharp, engaging content that connects with users and drives traffic. The ideal candidate will be a true team player who can help develop and polish a range of features, interviews, lists, special packages, videos, and more.
In addition to being a strong writer, the person in this role will ensure that A.V. Club content is packed with smart writing, strong headlines, and the latest SEO best practices. The Features Editor will also have excellent communications skills and can pitch in on every aspect of content production, from generating ideas to putting the finishing touches on a compelling story.
- Help manage A.V. Club coverage across the film, TV, streaming, music and games categories
- Work closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Deputy Editor and other A.V. Club editors.
- Provide guidance and feedback for staff writers, freelancers and interns.
- Assist with assigning, scheduling, and programming content through all stages of production.
- Strengthen and sharpen copy, headlines, and SEO to ensure that A.V. Club content connects with users and drives traffic.
- At least four years of experience in entertainment journalism.
- Deep understanding of the digital content space across desktop, mobile, social and video.
- Extensive experience as both a line editor and a copy editor.
- Strong writing and grammatical skills.
- Knowledge of content management systems and analytics tools such as Chartbeat and Google Analytics
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Extensive understanding of the latest SEO practices.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences, and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.