G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, The Takeout and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About The Role
The A.V. Club, one of digital media’s most distinctive and respected entertainment brands, is looking for a Los Angeles-based TV Editor. The person in this position will oversee the site’s coverage of streaming, cable and broadcast television, with a sharp focus on the must-watch shows and powerful personalities that shape pop culture.
The TV editor will coordinate reviews and recaps of new and ongoing shows from the site’s staff and freelance contributors. In addition, the person in this role will be responsible for developing smart, timely and in-depth features that reflect and drive the conversations around television and streaming. The TV editor will be expected to assign and edit content and to contribute as a writer.
The ideal candidate will have a clear and ambitious vision for the TV section at the A.V. Club, will have a deep understanding of the site’s unique voice and will bring new approaches to expand coverage and readership.
- Stay abreast of current and upcoming offerings from streaming, network and cable platforms.
- Provide smart ideas for features, interviews, special reports and seasonal packages.
- Oversee a large and diverse stable of freelance writers and critics and provide mentoring and coaching as needed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with networks, streaming companies and publicists, without sacrificing A.V. Club standards.
- Represent The A.V. Club on camera and at events, including moderating panels or other public speaking.
- At least three years of experience in entertainment journalism
- An exceptional critical voice
- Strong organizational skills
- Capable of planning and turning around stories ranging from short news pieces to longer features at a quick pace
- A clear understanding of journalistic ethics as they relate to cultural criticism and The A.V. Club
- A commitment to diversity
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences, and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.