G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About The Role:
As part of the Marketing team, the Research Manager will focus on conducting the research that will help steer our campaign concepts and business moves in a more strategic way.
This role will work closely with measurement partners such as Nielsen, Millward Brown, Placed and Samba to develop measurement plans, surveys and reporting and will oversee the qualifying and competitive research used to support pre-sale RFP responses and proactive proposals.
We are looking for someone capable of doing complex statistical analysis but also skilled at explaining results in their simplest terms. Presentation skills, both written and oral, are a must for this role.
This role reports to the VP, Marketing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Recommend brand studies in response to RFPs
- Contract and track brand studies sold
- Negotiate pricing with measurement partners
- Explain brand study methodology and tracking to clients
- Work with clients to understand KPIs/ goals to translate into measurement plans
- Understand G/O Media’s offerings and create corresponding measurement plans
- Ensure studies are properly tracked and implemented
- Track study results over time and develop benchmarks
- Analyze study results and translate into wrap decks and future recommendations
- Parse through complex data sets – from both original G/O Media research and third party research – to reveal compelling insights
- Conduct brand research/deep dives for our top partners and identify trends relevant to our editorial and reader interests
- Create and conduct reader surveys across all G/O Media properties
- Spearhead category research (tech, entertainment, alcohol, gaming, auto, CPG) to derive relevant insights about the industries at large and our readers' affinity toward each category
- Present results in a strategic, simple and actionable format
- Other tasks as assigned
- 3-4+ years of relevant work experience in research/ analytics at agency, publisher or measurement provider
- Ability to understand client priorities and translate to effective measurement plans
- Strong understanding of digital media, custom content and the ways in which it can be measured
- Track record integrating and scaling new measurement and research solutions
- Experience with Nielsen, comScore, attribution modeling, and other ad research providers
- Experience with any of the following: SQL, R, SPSS/STATA, Tableau
- Knowledge of industry – current and up and coming
- Understanding of statistical analysis
- Strong project management and organizational skills with the ability to support requests from account management and sales, while also juggling various tasks and deliverables
- Ability to quickly analyze results and succinctly recap findings
- Self sufficiency and attention-to-detail
- Team-oriented with the ability to earn trust and work with and influence others in a global organization. Must be comfortable with frequent senior management contact
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Excel at cross-group collaboration, problem solving and has a bias for action
- Proficient in Excel, Keynote
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.