Staff Reporter, Gizmodo
at G/O Media (View all jobs)
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku,
Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over
100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the
young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking
comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are
About the Role:
Gizmodo, our tech and science site, is looking for a Staff Reporter to join our spirited, high-octane newsroom and write essential reviews and consumer electronics-focused coverage. Specifically, we are looking for someone who specializes in lifestyle technology, including wearables, watches, health trackers, and cool household gadgets. You know the difference between Apple's watchOS and Google's Wear OS, and you're comfortable testing multiple wearables at the same time no matter how dumb it looks. You have a gift for finding the coolest new contraptions for the kitchen or around the home. Most of all, you must have a keen ability to critically and creatively vet PR pitches, great fact-checking skills, and the ability to identify emerging trends.
Experience writing both news and product reviews is a must. A healthy nose for bullshit is also required. The Staff Reporter should be able to see through the flash of the glossiest tech announcement and hone in on exactly why this news matters to Gizmodo’s audience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
● At least 2-3 years of experience writing consumer technology-focused stories at a major print or digital publication
● A thorough understanding of the major companies, issues, and reader-focused concerns across the technology realm
● The ability to think quickly, decisively, and creatively in a fast-paced newsroom environment
● A tenacious desire to consistently break news and craft poignant commentary on issues across the technology spectrum
● Knowledge of journalistic standards, laws, and reporting practices
● Scripting or on-camera video experience preferred but not required
● A good sense of humor and a quick wit are essential
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.