G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
Gizmodo is seeking a Data Reporter to join its news desk, which will focus on publishing high-impact tech and tech culture news with a focus on quantitative and semantic analysis of source material.
We are looking for someone who is obsessive, resourceful, thorough, and fully capable of bending data and code to his or her will; enthusiastic about working with other reporters in a collaborative team environment; capable of applying their investigative skills a wide variety of subject areas, from video games to sports to politics to the automotive industry; and possessed of a burning desire to make their work land with a splash on the internet—someone who is capable of translating the thrill and joy of dogged investigative work to the page and screen.
You Should Be:
- A technological jack-of-all-trades who can hack and jerry-rig their way through any digital problem confronting your team of reporters;
- Able to locate, access, render, and interpret data-sets that shed light on how power operates in our politics, culture, government, and economy;
- Able to build bespoke software tools to help your colleagues interrogate, investigate, and scrape the digital-information environment;
- Able to creatively exploit the internet for stories;
- Capable of keeping your eyes on the prize in long-term, project-oriented journalism while thriving in a fast-paced digital newsroom;