G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O Media is hiring an editor-in-chief for The Root, the leading news site for African-American influencers, reaching millions of readers per month, focusing on news, culture, politics and entertainment that is of interest to a black audience. The Root provides an unflinching analysis of issues in the black community and engages diverse viewpoints that are provocative, savvy & smart.
The ideal applicant is super-curious, passionate and can oversee the editing of a site that is entertaining and engaging about issues that might, in lesser hands, come off as boring or pedantic. Our site editors have strong opinions; a witty, conversational writing/commissioning voice; and an unstinting editorial eye. You should have a hunger for black news and culture, as well as serving a largely African-American audience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set the strategic editorial policy for the site commensurate with the company’s overall goals
- Ensure the site’s work across all platforms meets the highest standards of editorial excellence and positions the site as authoritative and agenda-setting
- Stewardship of the site’s authentic and fearless voice, based on strong opinion, conversational style and skepticism of conventional wisdom
- Oversee daily production of the site’s output across multiple distribution channels
- Meet targets for growing the reach, loyalty and engagement of the site’s audience
- Hire, retain and develop editorial staff
- Manage the editorial budget
- Represent the title externally at events and in the media to raise its profile
- Strong leadership skills with at least five years’ experience of managing a team of journalists in a fast-paced deadline-driven, digital environment
- Experience in video, TV, podcasts and other platforms into which The Root can expand
- First-rate editorial judgment and editorial skills
- Ability to generate original ideas for creative and engaging content
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, motivate and mentor a diverse and talented team of writers and editors
- Strong collaborative skills, including experience of liaising with stakeholders across the company
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
The role is based in New York City and reports to the Editorial Director.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.