G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O Media is hiring an editor-in-chief for Kotaku, our gaming news and tips site. Kotaku is a key property within G/O Media both in terms of audience and revenue. You’ll be tasked with helping to shape the site’s future while keeping its present as vibrant and relevant as possible. The ideal candidate is an experienced editorial leader with an intuitive sense of how to maintain a unified editorial voice in a rapidly splintering internet. You should be ready to continue the site’s traditions but also challenge them, to work with our existing talent but also identify and spotlight new voices.
For this role, a love of gaming is a must. That means playing or being aware of a wide range of games that appeal to Kotaku’s broad readership and to potential readers we don’t yet reach. Equally important is a love of media, of bringing true stories and genuine critique to an audience of millions, satisfying readers and at times challenging them. The editor-in-chief should be driven to make Kotaku's homepage as interesting as any on the internet on any given day.
Candidates should have multiple years of management and editing experience at a prominent website, and be able to wear many hats. They must have a deep knowledge of and appreciation for gaming, technology, and all things media. This role is based out of Kotaku's offices in New York City.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Set the strategic editorial policy for the site commensurate with the company’s overall goals
- Ensure the site’s work across all platforms meets the highest standards of editorial excellence and positions the site as authoritative and agenda-setting
- Stewardship of the site’s authentic and fearless voice, based on strong opinion, conversational style and skepticism of conventional wisdom
- Oversee daily production of the site’s output across multiple distribution channels
- Meet targets for growing the reach, loyalty and engagement of the site’s audience
- Hire, retain and develop editorial staff
- Manage the editorial budget
- Represent the title externally at events and in the media to raise its profile
- Strong leadership skills with at least five years’ experience of managing a team of journalists in a fast-paced deadline-driven, digital environment
- Experience in video, TV, podcasts and other platforms into which Kotaku can expand
- First-rate editorial judgment and editorial skills
- Ability to generate original ideas for creative and engaging content
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, motivate and mentor a diverse and talented team of writers and editors
- Strong collaborative skills, including experience of liaising with stakeholders across the company
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
The role is based in New York City and reports to the Editorial Director.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.