G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
Gizmodo, our tech and science site is looking for a New York-based Staff Editor to join our spirited, high-octane newsroom and lead the charge in crafting essential reviews and consumer electronics-focused coverage. Our ideal candidate has an understanding of the major narratives in the worlds of not just Apple, Google, and Microsoft, but smaller companies making lesser-known products. They should be able to talk pixels and processors and the supremely hard stuff, but also why Dark Mode might be good for your eyes or Bluetooth for your next set of headphones. They must have a keen ability to critically and creatively vet reporters’ pitches, great fact-checking skills, and the ability to identify emerging trends.
Consumer technology editing requires a strong grasp of a wide range of technologies and product categories and while having passion for one field of gadgets is welcome, we’re seeking someone who can gamely edit a story focused on any type of gadget. A healthy nose for bullshit is also required. The Staff Editor should be able to see through the flash of the glossiest tech announcement and home in on exactly why this news matters to Gizmodo’s audience.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- At least 3 years of experience writing and/or editing consumer technology-focused stories at a major print or
- A thorough understanding of the major companies, issues, and reader-focused concerns across the
- The ability to think quickly, decisively, and creatively in a fast-paced newsroom environment
- A tenacious desire to consistently break news and craft poignant commentary on issues across the
- Knowledge of journalistic standards, laws, and reporting practices
- Scripting or on-camera video experience preferred but not required
- A good sense of humor and a quick wit are essential