G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O Media is looking for a talented and well-versed Creative Director to join our team. Reporting to the VP, Marketing, the Creative Director will be responsible for the day-to-day creative output of the entire award-winning Studio team. This position will be responsible for the creative process, including ideation, video production, working in client revisions and doing what it takes to create world class content for our brand partners.
You will collaborate with client services, creative teams, UX, strategy, and tech teams to develop custom/branded content for all publishers within the G/O portfolio. The work will include branding development, key visual design, video pre-production, art direction, social media asset design, and interactive feature pages on our respective sites and much more. We’re looking for a conceptual thinker, visual designer, communicator and problem solver who wants to have their hands in several things at once, with focus on brand design and innovation. A strong point of view of brand identity and creative development will be your key to success.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Cultivate an advertiser-first mindset to ensure we're capturing the most opportunities
- Foster an engaging and innovative creative environment for the Studio team
- Communicate with content, design, video and strategy teams to ensure ideas and deliverables are up to the studio's standards
- Collaborate with creatives, writers, and strategists to set new standards in creative work
- Leads break-through brand expressions, campaign creative, and digital forward design
- Creates world-class creative for G/O Media's publications and marketing campaigns
- Partners with cross-functional teams to plan, concept and design compelling content
- Mentor designers in best practice, design process and conceptualizing
- At least 7 years experience leading design teams within an agencies, global brand or publisher
- A thorough understanding of designing for digital platforms and high-level visual design skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects, manage time efficiently, and effectively implement creative feedback from leadership
- Outside the box thinking that pushes the boundaries of both native content and branded entertainment
- A track-record that features world-class visual design and campaign work
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.