G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O Media is seeking an editorial leader and manager with deep experience running a digital newsroom environment to serve as Deputy Editorial Director. In this role, you will report to our Editorial Director and partner with them to spearhead newsroom initiatives that typically go beyond the daily editing of stories. This will involve coordination and ideation with G/O Media's product teams in developing new features and products for existing websites, as well as with the sales department when it comes to developing editorial projects including new sites, events, podcasts, or journalism initiatives underwritten by sponsors.
The role of Deputy Editorial Director will also be crucial in the newsroom's coordination with other editorial departments of G/O when it comes to developing new assets, launching podcasts, and growing our digital video operation. It will also touch vital areas of newsroom management, including working on people and finance issues, as well as recruitment, retention, and culture. The ideal candidate should have strong journalism credentials and be willing to get hands-on in all aspects of a modern media company.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Editorial Director, department heads, and editors-in-chief of our sites to guide stories and editorial strategy
- Help manage budget, logistics, and resource allocation for the editorial department
- Liaise between the editorial department and the G/O Media sales and product teams, as well as our brands, at the intersection of storytelling and commerce
- Work with our Executive Leadership Team and Head of People in managing personnel, staffing, and hiring across the newsroom
- At least 5 years of relevant newsroom management experience in a fast-paced, constantly evolving digital publishing environment
- Skills to help develop and execute on ideas that can expand G/O Media's current audiences in a deeply collaborative setting
- A sound understanding of the evolving digital media landscape, our critical place in it, and how our newsroom can continue to help G/O Media engage and find new audiences in the U.S. and abroad
- Deep, applied understanding of the centrality of visual journalism, digital video, and social media to our journalism
- Experience working collaboratively with in-house product/platform teams to figure out more ways to increase the reach of our journalism
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, organizational skills
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.