G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O Media is looking for a Head of Engineering to lead and develop its engineering and development efforts in the advancement of its digital businesses. As Head of Engineering, you will build and manage a team of developers and will raise the overall standard of development work and technical decision making throughout the organization. We are looking for proven leaders who will drive adoption of engineering best practices and development processes within their team and across our technology organization.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Head of Engineering will be able to guide and lead their team to a state of technical excellence, high productivity and predictability. The ideal candidate will be hands-on, capable of contributing directly to development, and are up to date on the latest tools, languages, and techniques.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Guide the technical direction and priorities of the engineering team, ensuring long-term technical health and team engagement.
- Provide broad technical expertise in design and development efforts, including but not limited to architectural direction, user experience leadership, mobile and social platforms, development standards and best practices
- Lead all software development and technical operations for all websites, mobile properties and apps
- Partner with product managers and designers on a regular basis to drive data-driven engineering and product decisions and set and track towards development objectives.
- Work with all parts of the organization to develop a roadmap to modernize and integrate our technology platforms, delivering a superb user experience
- Hire, develop, and retain a high-performing team of engineers
- Guide the team through planning and execution of product initiatives.
- Mentor and coach software engineers through 1:1s and performance evaluations.
- Take on important engineering, scaling and performance issues.
- Ensure alignment between execution of short-term initiatives and overall objectives.
- At least 10 years web and mobile application development experience, including team building and management
- Fluency in current best practices and standards and a willingness to develop new skills while constantly improving existing abilities
- Experience with AWS services, NodeJS, Flow, Scala or Python is a plus.
- Track record of success in building web properties with mass appeal and advertiser acceptance
- A proven track record of delivering key digital projects on time and in budget
- Experience building and leading software engineering teams (hiring, handling promotions, onboarding/off-boarding, team building, and processes)
- BS or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.