G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
G/O Media is looking for a creatively-driven Head of Commerce to expand our content to commerce capabilities across a set of category-leading brands. This person will manage merchandising, product and sell directly from our sites, oversee the entire commerce business, and will be responsible for setting the strategic plan around developing products and roadmaps that accelerate affiliate revenue and grow our brands.
This individual will work closely with G/O Media’s executive team, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and should possess an in-depth understanding of the digital media industry and competitive landscape, as well as strong editorial, content, and brand sensibilities. A proven track record of developing and negotiating complex partnerships is a must.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of our commerce business including content strategy, merchandising, product & operations
- Define strategy, business and promotional planning for E-commerce, affiliate revenue and lead generation across G/O Media’s portfolio of brands
- Lead all relevant business activity for G/O Media’s E-commerce initiatives across all verticals
- Spearhead the efforts for affiliate partnership management & data/analytics
- Act as the subject-matter expert and lead all E-Commerce initiatives for G/O Media including all of its’ digital brands
- Manage Strategic Partnerships (traffic, revenue, and tech partners), subsidiary business lines, sourcing & negotiating new deals and identifying / analyzing / vetting new areas of growth / revenue stream for the company and its’ brands
- A minimum of 8 years of comparable experience focused on growing an affiliate program with demonstrated success
- Proven track record of successful revenue-driving partnerships, creative deal making, and effective relationship management
- Extensive (and verifiable) network of senior relationships across sports, technology, music, and/or OTT
- Impeccable communication (written and verbal) and sales presentation skills
- Very comfortable operating at the highest levels both internally and externally
- Strategic thinker with strong business acumen and analytical skills
- Extremely organized with ability to effectively manage multiple, time-sensitive projects and competing priorities
- Proven leadership and people management skills with ability to foster teamwork and collaborative thinking
- Ability to perform responsibilities with minimal supervision, exercising discretion and independent/sound judgment, while excelling in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA preferred
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.