G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, Takeout and A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
We are currently seeking a Head of Video for G/O Media’s portfolio of digital media brands.
The Head of Video will work to ensure that the digital video strategy for G/O Media is successfully implemented across the portfolio. The ideal candidate is an exceptional creative thinker, independent manager and team player - capable of overseeing all video operations across some of the web’s most original media. This role requires the ability to inspire and motivate video producers while working closely with editor-in-chiefs to develop site-specific visual storytelling plans.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Creative - Develop brilliant, bold concepts, show ideas & pitches that play a key role in bringing G/O Media’s journalism to life via variety of original video formats. Work closely with site leads to ensure video reflects voice and vision of individual sites.
- Strategic - Understand G/O Media’s creative and business strategy. Develop strategic video plan and deliver against identified objectives.
- Team management - Manage a large video team including producers, ensuring they have strong creative direction and the necessary infrastructure – production schedule, tools, optimal workflows – to meet all project requirements and produce best-in-class videos. Manage budget effectively to ensure strategic goals are met.
- Audience - Ensure that G/O Media videos connect with existing and new audiences. Develop distribution strategy with deep understanding of distributed platform and specific requirements for each channel. Attract organic traffic and social attention to sites and social properties.
- Quality – Ensure consistent standards of production (technical and editorial) across the output and be responsible for in-house video, providing feedback.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working with video content for a publisher, production house, or digital video company (min 5 years in managerial position).
- Creative, strategic thinker with deep understanding of visual storytelling.
- Extremely strong managerial and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders across broad organization.
- Strong commitment, and proven track record, of hiring diverse talent.
- Experience owning video productions from initial pitch through upload.
- Experience developing series pilots and built-if-sold opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to write and/or supervise treatments, storyboards, scripts and structuring of all video to guarantee maximum audience engagement.
- Deep understanding of video distribution platforms and ecosystem.
- Proven track record working with business development and revenue teams.
- Understanding of target audiences and the type of content that resonates with them, including working with digital influencers and third party content platforms.
- Understanding of common legal procedures that surround online publishing
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.