G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
The Head of PR will serve as an internal and external communications specialist covering business and industry media relations, financial communications, local PR, event publicity, crisis communications and reputation management. This position plays an integral role in shaping and elevating the company’s brand and reputation. As our Head of PR, you will support our Executive Leadership in driving the overall communications strategy for the company, and serving as the day-to-day media relations expert. Previous experience managing a company's social presence and being active in executive thought leadership meetings is a must.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and execute press strategy for G/O Media’s portfolio of digital publications
- Lead consumer publicity for events, including leading, managing and staffing media room publicity for major events
- Foster relationships with key media contacts and secure media coverage
- Pitch and coordinate media interviews for local station leadership
- Serve as day-to-day-liaison for local brand executives
- Collaborate with senior management and serve as in-house communications counselor
- Increase overall positive industry awareness for the company through executive visibility programs
- Develop and manage internal processes to enhance coordination and alignment of communications activities across the company’s portfolio of brands
- Lead development of high-quality press materials, including press releases, executive bios, talking points, social media content and other related press materials
- Oversee media analysis, media monitoring for relevant company activity and industry coverage
- Work with external vendors as appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of Communications and Media Relations experience
- Account leadership experience
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with corporate communications and consumer public relations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based at G/O Media's headquarters in New York City.