About the Role
GoldieBlox is seeking a Director of Engineering that brings an inventive mind, can-do attitude combined with serious product development know-how.
This position is unique in that you will function as the Engineering leader and at times, a hands-on mechanical guru.
As a leader, you leverage your strong manufacturing knowledge and solid communication skills to help drive the direction and decision-making process with key management members and Far East partners throughout the toy development cycle.
Additionally, you are also someone who will roll up their sleeves to work with the team. You problem solve, generate and evaluate CAD drawings, explore new materials, define product specs, are collaborative and will do whatever it takes to develop quality products.
- Lead and create engineering solutions for new product concepts and develop those solutions in CAD.
- Create innovative mechanisms to deliver on functional expectations.
- Work with Design and Marketing teams to determine product features and functions including product size, mechanism design, material selection and construction method that deliver on design expectations.
- Collaborate with industrial designers to develop beautiful, great functioning products that deliver an outstanding consumer experience.
- Design parts for a variety of manufacturing processes including, injection molding, stamping, and casting.
- Create Bills of Materials, exploded view drawings and CAD models for individual parts of a product.
- Communicate with vendors overseas through emails and conference calls.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions to create new product concepts and provide solutions to technical problems.
- Participate in product testing of prototypes to aid the design process.
- Participate in child product testing and consumer research to identify key insights that lead to product innovation.
- Ability to interpret quality, safety & reliability standards and guide the team accordingly.
- Experience sourcing materials a plus.
- Basic knowledge of electrical engineering principles and methods.
- Willingness & ability to travel to Asia for product development.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years experience in toy development or similar youth based consumer product industry.
- Strong knowledge of injection molding, mechanical design, and materials.
- Experienced with CAD software such as Solidworks, Creo, or Pro E. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Highly organized, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects at once.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Deep experience working with manufacturing vendors to meet quality, cost, and schedule.
- Above all, the individual must be an effective problem solver, who is committed to producing products of exceptional quality and beautiful design.
GoldieBlox is the award-winning children’s multimedia company disrupting the pink aisle in toy stores globally and challenging gender stereotypes with the world’s first girl engineer character. Through the integration of storytelling and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) principles, GoldieBlox creates toys, books, apps, videos, animation and merchandise; the tools that empower girls to build their confidence, dreams and ultimately, their futures.
Since its founding in 2012, GoldieBlox has been recognized as a leader in children’s entertainment and has reached billions of consumers through TV, radio and digital as the first start-up with a Super Bowl commercial and a float in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. In 2014, Fast Company named GoldieBlox to its list of Most Innovative Companies, and GoldieBlox was recognized with The Toy Industry Association’s Toy of the Year and Apple's iOS App of the Year awards. In 2015, GoldieBlox won Parents Magazine’s Toy of the Year and founder, Debbie Sterling, was inducted by President Obama as a Presidential Ambassador for Global Entrepreneurship, honored by the National Retail Foundation as one of 25 “People Shaping Retail’s Future,” and by the National Women’s History Museum with a “Living Legacy” Award for her work inspiring girls.
GoldieBlox has had over 1 million app downloads and over 1 million toys sold across more than 6,000 major retailers worldwide. To learn more, visit www.goldieblox.com.