Do you believe that people should compassionately support one another to create a better world? Well, we do!
Serving as the world’s most trusted fundraising platform, GoFundMe is committed to creating a better world by making it safe and easy for people to support causes they’re passionate about. When someone sees a need—whether it’s in their neighborhood or across the globe—they can turn their compassion into action through GoFundMe. Our customers have raised over $10 billion for their personal causes, making GoFundMe a top 200 website in the US based on traffic, with a monthly audience of over 100 million people.
GoFundMe is looking for a Senior Communications Manager to develop and execute media strategies that advance the company narrative. Your role will be focused on driving strategic narratives and press coverage that communicate the variety of ways people use GoFundMe to achieve their dreams. The role requires someone who can skillfully manage programs from strategic planning through tactical execution, which includes proactive and reactive media relations, ideation around brand activations, and executive communications.
- Develop and execute PR plans and clear messaging around product features, launches, initiatives and company news
- Drive positive coverage of GoFundMe in lifestyle, consumer, tech, and business press that grows brand love and showcases the diversity of ways people are using GoFundMe to achieve their dreams
- Create activations and stories that don’t always involve an announcement as a hook
- Find clever and strategic ways to turn data and research into consumer-friendly stories that highlight GoFundMe’s trusted service, company growth and product developments
- Create executive communication strategies and messaging, identifying and securing thought leadership and speaking opportunities, and prepare company spokespeople for interviews and speaking opportunities
- Manage press inquiries, working closely with the communications leadership team and cross-functional stakeholders
- Lead policy communications and strategy, collaborating with cross-functional teams and leadership to develop both reactive and proactive statements around current policies, crises and issues
- Develop relationships with a variety of external stakeholders, including third party experts
- Interact with the GoFundMe community to find and pitch positive human-interest stories and trends to media
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism required
- Ideally 10+ years of experience in communications and public relations, with significant experience in external communications/media relations
- Enthusiastic team player, who works well with internal cross-functional and external partners and has experience engaging with senior executives and leadership teams
- Desire to see your work have a direct, and positive, impact on people, organizations and causes
- Ability to interact and display compassion with people from varied backgrounds and in sensitive situations
- Existing relationships with lifestyle, consumer, tech, and business press.
- Excellent oral/written communication and presentation skills.
- Passionate about brand building, storytelling and campaign development
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with strong attention to detail.
- Self-starter with strong business ethics and interpersonal skills who works well within a small team and embraces change
- Ability to take initiative with projects and anticipate opportunities and potential issues.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, create content quickly and communicate effectively under pressure of time constraints.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, an ability to handle multiple demands and thrive under pressure in a fast-paced, changing and growing platform.
- Understanding of the always evolving marketing landscape and consumer insights
- Willingness and availability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Why you’ll love it here...
- We offer competitive pay and excellent benefits. Employees can choose from a wide range of health insurance options, including medical, dental, and vision. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of premiums for spouses and dependents.
- We provide generous maternity and paternity leave, as well as a 401(k) retirement plan with company matching.
- Employees can enjoy perks such as complimentary lunches, commuter benefits, a $600 wellness stipend, paid volunteer time, and generous sick time and paid time off (Due to COVID-19 employees now get a work from home stipend)
- We encourage our employees to support fundraisers by offering our Gives Back program. Employees can select a fundraiser every week to nominate to receive a donation from the company.
- Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion team is always finding new ways for our company to uphold and represent the experiences of all of the people in our organization.
- We offer employee resource groups for women, parents, and the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Your work has real purpose and will help change lives on a global scale.
- You’ll be a part of a fun, supportive team that works hard and celebrates accomplishments together.
- We live by our core values: consider everything, do the right thing, spread empathy, delight the customer, and give back.
- We are a certified Great Place to Work and we’re growing fast and have incredible opportunities ahead!
GoFundMe is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that actively pursues candidates of diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to providing diversity, equity, and inclusion training to all employees, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, nationality or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, age, medical condition, mental or physical disability, or military or veteran status.
Learn more about GoFundMe...