We are currently seeking a Manager of Data Engineering to lead our new Data Engineering team. This role can be performed remotely across Canada or USA. Some exceptions may apply.
What your team does:
As a Manager of Data Engineering you and your team will envision, plan, and implement our data ELT pipelines and warehouses while collaborating with multiple internal stakeholders across Clio to ensure that their needs are met. The ultimate deliverable of the team will be the foundational systems, data stores, and models that will be used both internally to help guide business decision-making and within our products to power reporting and business intelligence.
We’re seeking an experienced Manager of Data Engineering who wants to help us build solid foundations in this space. This role will work closely with our business operations, data science, systems engineering, product, and security teams. This role offers the opportunity to scale out a team of engineers as you also define the short-term strategy and the long-term vision for data engineering at Clio.
What you'll be doing:
- Work with stakeholders around the business to understand data infrastructure problems and opportunities, gather requirements, and validate solutions.
- Envision and lead the architectural design, implementation, validation, and delivery of data pipelines and ETL workflows.
- Lead development “from the front” by authoring and maintaining redaction and ETL scripts and utilities integrated with our web development frameworks.
- Work on data extraction, processing, transformations, and modeling to enable data science and business intelligence efforts.
- Create, maintain, and expand a secure, scalable and performant data infrastructure.
- Drive understanding and buy-in of the modeled data across all stakeholders at all levels across Clio.
- Hire, retain and grow Clio’s data engineering technical talent into a Human and High Performing team.
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- A deep foundation of technical knowledge in data-engineering (data pipelines, stream processing, ETL workflows, and data warehousing), and the passion to stay close to the implementation and to directly help your team deliver concrete results;
- Demonstrated success in people management in the data engineering space;
- Experience with repeatable deployment strategies on AWS;
- Proficiency creating and shipping both code and infrastructure;
- A diverse base of knowledge that allows you to help your team solve complex technical problems;
- The ability to describe successful projects you have worked on, as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects and the ability to inform your future vision with those lessons;
- A demonstrated ability to hire the best and brightest engineers and leaders in a fast-paced job market – and to coach, develop, and retain them;
- Strong opinions that are weakly held, and foster that same attitude in others; and
- A strong belief in providing honest, actionable feedback to your team, and in encouraging your team to reciprocate.
Serious bonus points if you have:
- A philosophy on what makes for great data engineering teams;
- A philosophy on how data should be modeled for flexible reporting and growth;
- Experience with dashboarding tools such as Tableau, Mode, and Looker; and
- Experience with Python or Ruby development.
Where your team works:
Clio is currently transitioning to a workplace that is distributed by design. This means that Clio offers employees more choice: the opportunity to work from one of our hub offices across Canada, remotely, or a combination of both. We have invested in best-in-class tools, technology, and culture to ensure our team members are able to do their best work whether they prefer to work from an office or remotely.
Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging and Equity (DIBE) & Accessibility
Our team shows up as their authentic selves, and are united by our mission. We are dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion. We pride ourselves in building and fostering an environment where our teams feel included, valued, and enabled to do the best work of their careers, wherever they choose to log in from. We believe that different perspectives, skills, backgrounds, and experiences result in higher-performing teams and better innovation. We are committed to equal employment and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Clio provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our culture at clio.com/careers
At Clio, we are on a mission to transform the legal experience for all. As the world's leading provider of cloud-based legal software, we provide lawyers with low-barrier, affordable solutions to manage and grow their firms more effectively, more profitably, and with better client experiences. Through the cloud, we believe that we can help create a more inclusive legal community and a more equitable legal system. We are an award-winning team that has been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Canada’s Most Admired Cultures and has topped Fast Company’s list of Most Innovative Companies. In line with our mission, we’ve been up to some big things, including becoming a multi-product company, launching a $1 million COVID-19 Legal Relief Initiative, and most recently, securing a US$110M Series E funding round and a USD $1.6B valuation. This is a historic moment in the growth of legal technology! As the first legal practice management unicorn globally, and one of only a handful of Canadian unicorns, this is only the beginning. If you’ve ever wanted to do the best work of your career, while having a meaningful impact in the lives of others, then Clio is the place for you.