We are currently seeking a Software Development Manager to join our Engineering team. This is a remote position. When our offices reopen this role can be performed from one of our Canadian offices, remotely across Canada, or a combination of both. Some exemptions may apply.
A day in the life might look like:
- Contributing to or even driving larger changes to processes and workflows within your team or the broader development organization;
- Collaborating with your triad to: understand the challenges our business faces, identify the most impactful opportunities, and craft a roadmap for the team;
- Working with your team on preparing an architecture document for an upcoming project;
- Working with the developers on your team to break down a project into deliverable chunks of work;
- Giving great feedback on code reviews, architecture documents, and more to help support team members making great technical decisions for their projects;
- Having a 1:1 meeting with your direct reports to make sure they are supported in their career growth and development goals;
- Reviewing code contributed by members from your team or other Clio developers reaching out to you for your experience with a given technology or pattern.
You may be a fit for this role if:
- Demonstrated success in people leadership in software development, particularly with large scale SaaS products;
- A background in hands-on software development;
- Diverse base of knowledge that allows you to help your team solve complex technical problems;
- The ability to describe successful projects you worked on, as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects; and
- Demonstrated ability to hire the best and brightest engineers in a fast-paced job market—and to coach, develop, and retain engineering talent; You are equally energized by both your own technical work as well as contributing to the career growth of your team;
- You have strong opinions that are weakly held, and foster that same attitude in others;
- You believe in providing honest, actionable feedback to your team, and encourage your team to reciprocate;
- You devise roadmaps to guide your team, but aren't beholden to them -- you easily adapt to a constantly changing world.
Serious bonus points if you have:
- A philosophy on what makes for great software development teams;
- Experience with CRM products at scale; and
- Experience with Ruby on Rails.
Where your team works:
Clio is currently transitioning to a workplace that is distributed by design. This means that Clio offers employees more choice: the opportunity to work from one of our hub offices across Canada, remotely, or a combination of both. We have invested in best-in-class tools, technology, and culture to ensure our team members are able to do their best work whether they prefer to work from an office or remotely.
At Clio, we’re more than just a tech company. We’re transforming the practice of law in a permanent and meaningful way that’s bettering the lives of legal professionals while increasing access to justice for all.
We are high achievers who are setting new standards for what it means to be a tech company. In the past three years, we’ve launched a new interface and experience of our software, acquired our first company, launched a second product, secured the largest Series D in Canadian history at the time, and launched a $1 million dollar relief fund to help legal professionals navigate the challenges of COVID-19 (just to name a few).
We are dedicated to creating diverse teams and inclusive workplaces. We know that different perspectives, skills, backgrounds, and experiences result in higher-performing teams and innovation. We believe you do your best work when you can show up as your authentic self—and that’s a key part of our culture.
At Clio, you have the chance to not only do the best work of your career but work that is putting Canada on the global stage. We know our technology changes lives and we’re committed to making an impact. If that’s something that speaks to you—you belong here, too. Join us.
Learn more about our culture and benefits at clio.com/careers