We are currently seeking a Senior Database Administrator to join our Distributed Site Reliability Engineering team.
Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2008, Clio is transforming the practice of law, for good. Whether it's our industry-leading cloud-based practice management platform, our legal client relationship management (CRM), our ground-breaking Legal Trends Report or our ever-popular Clio Cloud Conference, Clio is at the forefront of advancing the legal sphere. With the help of the cloud, we make lawyers’ lives simpler and help them better organize and manage their legal practices. As one of Canada’s fastest-growing companies with international reach, we employ over 400 individuals with a rapidly growing customer base spanning 90 countries. Clio has been recognized as one of CIX’s Top 20 Most Influential Technology Companies, one of Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers for three years in a row, and has one of Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures. Additionally, for the last two years, we have been recognized on Deloitte's Fast50 Fast500 lists and were awarded Tech Culture of the Year and one of Canada's Best Managed Companies in 2019
Clio is looking for a Senior Database Administrator to join the team that builds and manages our MySQL databases and related systems.
We're building a cross-Canada, distributed team that forms the foundation of Clio's engineering organization:
- We build, secure, and maintain the infrastructure and critical services that power Clio’s core applications.
- We help Clions make data-driven decisions by providing observability and transparency for all of our environments.
- We collaborate with the Clio product development teams to build tools that improve workflows and remove manual labour or friction points.
Who you are:
- You are equally energized by both your own technical work as well as contributing to the career growth of your team;
- You have strong opinions that are weakly held, and foster that same attitude in others;
- You challenge and enable your team to take initiative, explore, and implement new improvements while balancing that work against satisfying the requirements as defined by the business;
- You believe in providing honest, actionable feedback to your team, and encourage your team to reciprocate;
- You devise roadmaps to guide the future of our datastores infrastructure in terms of scale and data security
What you'll be doing:
- You’ll be responsible for preparing Clio’s database infrastructure for the future in terms of scale and reliability;
- You will collaboratively define the roadmap to support business goals, and satisfy application requirements;
- You will investigate and solve performance problems with our MySQL databases
- You will use your experience to guide development teams on how to improve and optimize their use of the databases;
- You will scope, define, and collaborate with developers to implement automation and processes that power reliability of Clio’s datastores;
- You'll raise the bar by spreading database knowledge to your team;
- Elevate and educate our engineering processes within Clio, contributing to our cultural values of “No doors, only windows” (an emphasis on collaboration and clear communication) and “Live a learning mindset” (an emphasis on constant self-improvement and evolution in the face of change).
What you should have:
- Hands-on technical expertise with building and configuring MySQL database servers; Bonus points for understanding how to do this in a cloud environment
- Experience investigating and solving performance problems with MySQL databases
- Experience using ProxySQL and the percona toolkit
- Be prepared to work with and develop the MySQL knowledge to rest of the SRE team
- A portfolio of successful projects (as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects).
Serious bonus points if you have:
- Experience using migrations tools, pt-online-schema-change or gh-ost
- Experience managing hosts with Puppet.
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience developing with Ruby or GoLang.
- Experience managing AWS resources with CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Experience scripting with BASH.
We could talk to you about the many amenities provided by our offices, or the allowances provided to those who work from home, but we know you’re looking for more than that. Instead, here are a few of the things that set us apart and make us the employer of choice for top talent in Canada:
- The chance to do work that matters on a product that truly changes lives. This is the place for driven people who want to make their mark.
- The freedom to choose your own path (and change it) to build a meaningful career that works for you.
- Excellent health and dental coverage, 4 weeks vacation time, parental leave options and education spending
- An RRSP matching program
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that ensuring diversity and inclusion will produce a better place to work and a better product. We encourage all candidates to apply.