We are currently seeking a Development Manager to join our Distributed Site Reliability Engineering team.
Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2008, Clio is transforming the practice of law, for good. Whether it's our industry-leading cloud-based practice management platform, our legal client relationship management (CRM), our ground-breaking Legal Trends Report or our ever-popular Clio Cloud Conference, Clio is at the forefront of advancing the legal sphere. With the help of the cloud, we make lawyers’ lives simpler and help them better organize and manage their legal practices. As one of Canada’s fastest-growing companies with international reach, we employ over 400 individuals with a rapidly growing customer base spanning 90 countries. Clio has been recognized as one of CIX’s Top 20 Most Influential Technology Companies, one of Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers for three years in a row, and has one of Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures. Additionally, for the last two years, we have been recognized on Deloitte's Fast50 Fast500 lists and were awarded Tech Culture of the Year and one of Canada's Best Managed Companies in 2019
Clio is looking for a Development Manager to join the team that builds and manages the infrastructure that underlies the development and runtime of our applications.
We're building a cross-Canada, distributed team that forms the foundation of Clio's engineering organization:
- We build, secure, and maintain the infrastructure and critical services that power Clio’s core applications.
- We help Clions make data-driven decisions by providing observability and transparency for all of our environments.
- We collaborate with the Clio product development teams to build tools that improve workflows and remove manual labour or friction points.
Who you are:
- You are equally energized by both your own technical work as well as contributing to the career growth of your team;
- You have strong opinions that are weakly held, and foster that same attitude in others;
- You challenge and enable your team to take initiative, explore, and implement new improvements while balancing that work against satisfying the requirements as defined by the business;
- You believe in providing honest, actionable feedback to your team, and encourage your team to reciprocate;
- You devise roadmaps to guide your team, but aren't beholden to them -- you easily adapt to a constantly changing world.
What you'll be doing:
- You’ll split your time between being a high-impact contributor to our projects and being a high-impact leader, growing your team;
- You will collaboratively define the roadmap to build a world-class developer experience, support business goals, and satisfy application requirements;
- You will contribute to, and have a deep understanding of, the code base and your technical domains;
- You will scope, define, and implement the infrastructure, automation, and processes that power the entire engineering organization;
- You'll write clean, maintainable code, and continue to grow your development skills;
- Foster and maintain a collaborative environment that highlights team prioritization, removing roadblocks, and sharing unique and creative solutions;
- Elevate and educate our engineering processes within Clio, contributing to our cultural values of “No doors, only windows” (an emphasis on collaboration and clear communication) and “Live a learning mindset” (an emphasis on constant self-improvement and evolution in the face of change).
What you should have:
- Hands-on technical expertise with building or supporting software. Examples of relevant experience are: software development, *nix systems administration, infrastructure as code, cloud resource administration, or database administration. Bonus points for experience working with infrastructure at scale;
- A demonstrated success in guiding technical teams. Experience with or a desire to learn about Agile processes and large scale SaaS products;
- A diverse base of knowledge that allows you to guide your team to solve complex technical problems;
- The ability or desire to learn how to hire the best and brightest in Canada;
- An aptitude for coaching, developing, and retaining talent;
- A portfolio of successful projects (as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects).
Serious bonus points if you have:
- Experience managing hosts with Puppet.
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience developing with Ruby or GoLang.
- Experience managing AWS resources with CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Experience scripting with BASH.
- Experience administering any of: Elasticsearch, Kafka, MySQL, Redis.
We could talk to you about the many amenities provided by our offices, or the allowances provided to those who work from home, but we know you’re looking for more than that. Instead, here are a few of the things that set us apart and make us the employer of choice for top talent in Canada:
- The chance to do work that matters on a product that truly changes lives. This is the place for driven people who want to make their mark.
- The freedom to choose your own path (and change it) to build a meaningful career that works for you.
- Excellent health and dental coverage, 4 weeks vacation time, parental leave options and education spending
- An RRSP matching program
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that ensuring diversity and inclusion will produce a better place to work and a better product. We encourage all candidates to apply.