We are currently seeking a Director, Product Design to join our team, working out of our Greater Vancouver office.
At Clio, we’re more than just a tech company. We’ve got ambitious goals, hopes, and dreams - just like you. We’re on a mission to transform the legal profession, for good, by serving a better solution to a centuries old profession. We believe we work better as a diverse and inclusive team, and take time to share our learnings. You’ll have the chance to work on a product that truly changes lives. If that’s something that speaks to you—you belong here, too.
As a Product Design Director at Clio, you have the opportunity to shape the user experience of the leading product in the Legal Practice Management space as a peer to Product Management and Engineering directors. You are responsible for ensuring that users are at the heart of our strategic choices and for the design decisions that enable them within your portfolio, while shaping the next generation of design leaders. Your credibility as a designer coupled with your ability to connect Design’s strategic opportunity to impact our business are key to your success, and the foundation of your partnership with Product and Engineering.
Strategy, Prioritization, and Outcomes
- You define a long-term strategy for your portfolio which creates both customer value and business success for Clio. This strategy is developed in close collaboration with the product and go to market leadership teams and is an extension of Clio’s corporate strategy and vision. You communicate this strategy internally and externally, and you influence stakeholders across Clio to execute them successfully.
- You derive mid and short term initiatives from this product strategy in close collaboration with your portfolio triad. You carefully consider scope, efficiency and investment for each initiative and balance short term with long term projects. You understand the risks and challenges for each initiative and actively work on mitigating them. You prioritize all initiatives within your portfolio and coordinate that prioritization with other portfolios and cross-departmental projects.
- You ensure the success of your product portfolio which is measured by the customer value you create and its impact on the Clio business. You collaborate with the rest of Clio’s leadership on achieving our corporate objectives. You understand the relationships between product usage, value and revenue, and the impact your strategies and initiatives will have on them.
- You have mastered being an individual contributor in design. You think critically about your design skills and techniques and through experience, can select and adapt them to each situation. You can also apply your experience to help other designers break down complex problems and help them focus on solving the right problems.
- You build and manage a team of designers and you follow Clio’s approach to people leadership. You assess your team’s existing capabilities, communicate to them their strengths and weaknesses and proactively help them improve and add to their skills. You produce new design leaders for Clio while aligning with the leadership values and standards of Clio. You successfully mentor other designers and help them develop their careers.
- You collaborate with the design leadership team to assess and improve the employee experience and the craft of the entire design organization.
- You represent a strong voice of the users in your portfolio leadership triad. You have a constructive and healthy relationship with the engineering and product lead for your portfolio. Besides having strong working relationships with a large number of stakeholders across Clio, you lead across Clio through your credibility and expertise.
Market & Customer Understanding
- You initiate and guide user research and analysis to uncover product opportunities, challenges and risks. You are informed and up to date on market trends and actively direct and use different research channels to improve your perspective on the market of your portfolio. You craft and nurture a clear perspective on the strengths, weaknesses and positioning of the competitors.
- You build deep understanding and empathy with our customers through qualitative and quantitative research, using approaches such as interviews, site visits, usage data, surveys and other tools. You find trends across the customer base and combine data & insights from these channels to build a complete understanding. You advocate for our users internally, and you use your insight to discover opportunities and make decisions.
Excellent health and mental wellness coverage, 4 weeks vacation time + unlimited responsible sick time, paid volunteer time, stock options, RRSP Matching, RESP contribution, parental leave options, education spending, top tech, beautiful work space, flexible working hours - all built around a culture of human and high-performance. But more than all the perks and benefits - at Clio, you have the freedom to choose your own path (and change it) and build a meaningful career that works for you.
This is the place for people who want to make their mark.
Diversity and Inclusion
At Clio, we do our best to create an inclusive environment and selection process, where diverse teams can thrive. We believe there are many paths and backgrounds that can lead to the perfect opportunity, and encourage all candidates to apply.