We are currently seeking a Product Design Director to join our Burnaby based team.
Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2008, Clio is transforming the practice of law, for good. Whether it's our industry-leading cloud-based practice management platform, our legal client relationship management (CRM), our ground-breaking Legal Trends Report or our ever-popular Clio Cloud Conference, Clio is at the forefront of advancing the legal sphere. With the help of the cloud, we make lawyers’ lives simpler and help them better organize and manage their legal practices. As one of Canada’s fastest-growing companies with international reach, we employ over 400 individuals with a rapidly growing customer base spanning 90 countries. Clio has been recognized as one of CIX’s Top 20 Most Influential Technology Companies, one of Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers for three years in a row, and has one of Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures. Additionally, for the last two years, we have been recognized on Deloitte's Fast50 Fast500 lists and were awarded Tech Culture of the Year and one of Canada's Best Managed Companies in 2019.
As a Product Design Director at Clio, you have the opportunity to shape the user experience of the leading product in the Legal Practice Management space as a peer to Product Management and Engineering directors. You are responsible for ensuring that users are at the heart of our strategic choices and for the design decisions that enable them within your portfolio, while shaping the next generation of design leaders. Your credibility as a designer coupled with your ability to connect Design’s strategic opportunity to impact our business are key to your success, and the foundation of your partnership with Product and Engineering.
Strategy, Prioritization, and Outcomes
- You define a long-term strategy for your portfolio which creates both customer value and business success for Clio. This strategy is developed in close collaboration with the product and go to market leadership teams and is an extension of Clio’s corporate strategy and vision. You communicate this strategy internally and externally, and you influence stakeholders across Clio to execute them successfully.
- You derive mid and short term initiatives from this product strategy in close collaboration with your portfolio triad. You carefully consider scope, efficiency and investment for each initiative and balance short term with long term projects. You understand the risks and challenges for each initiative and actively work on mitigating them. You prioritize all initiatives within your portfolio and coordinate that prioritization with other portfolios and cross-departmental projects.
- You ensure the success of your product portfolio which is measured by the customer value you create and its impact on the Clio business. You collaborate with the rest of Clio’s leadership on achieving our corporate objectives. You understand the relationships between product usage, value and revenue, and the impact your strategies and initiatives will have on them.
- You have mastered being an individual contributor in design. You think critically about your design skills and techniques and through experience, can select and adapt them to each situation. You can also apply your experience to help other designers break down complex problems and help them focus on solving the right problems.
- You build and manage a team of designers and you follow Clio’s approach to people leadership. You assess your team’s existing capabilities, communicate to them their strengths and weaknesses and proactively help them improve and add to their skills. You produce new design leaders for Clio while aligning with the leadership values and standards of Clio. You successfully mentor other designers and help them develop their careers.
- You collaborate with the design leadership team to assess and improve the employee experience and the craft of the entire design organization.
- You represent a strong voice of the users in your portfolio leadership triad. You have a constructive and healthy relationship with the engineering and product lead for your portfolio. Besides having strong working relationships with a large number of stakeholders across Clio, you lead across Clio through your credibility and expertise.
Market & Customer Understanding
- You initiate and guide user research and analysis to uncover product opportunities, challenges and risks. You are informed and up to date on market trends and actively direct and use different research channels to improve your perspective on the market of your portfolio. You craft and nurture a clear perspective on the strengths, weaknesses and positioning of the competitors.
- You build deep understanding and empathy with our customers through qualitative and quantitative research, using approaches such as interviews, site visits, usage data, surveys and other tools. You find trends across the customer base and combine data & insights from these channels to build a complete understanding. You advocate for our users internally, and you use your insight to discover opportunities and make decisions.
We could talk to you about our ping pong table, beer taps, yoga classes, and nap room, but, we know you’re looking for more than that. Instead, here are a few of the things that set us apart and make us the employer of choice for top talent in Canada and beyond:
- The chance to do work that matters on a product that truly changes lives. This is the place for driven people who want to make their mark.
- The freedom to choose your own path (and change it) to build a meaningful career that works for you.
- Excellent health and dental coverage, 4 weeks vacation time, parental leave options and education spending
- An RRSP matching program
- Regular games nights and team outings with the best coworkers you’ll ever work with
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that ensuring diversity and inclusion will produce a better place to work and a better product. We encourage all candidates to apply.