We are currently seeking a Corporate Counsel to join our Finance Team in Burnaby.
Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2008, Clio is transforming the practice of law, for good. Whether it's our industry-leading cloud-based practice management platform, our legal client relationship management (CRM), our ground-breaking Legal Trends Report or our ever-popular Clio Cloud Conference, Clio is at the forefront of advancing the legal sphere. With the help of the cloud, we make lawyers’ lives simpler and help them better organize and manage their legal practices. As one of Canada’s fastest-growing companies with international reach, we employ over 400 individuals with a rapidly growing customer base spanning 90 countries. Clio has been recognized as one of CIX’s Top 20 Most Influential Technology Companies, one of Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers for three years in a row, and has one of Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures. Additionally, for the last two years, we have been recognized on Deloitte's Fast50 Fast500 lists and were awarded Tech Culture of the Year and one of Canada's Best Managed Companies in 2019.
What you'll be doing:
- Negotiating, writing and executing agreements and contracts on behalf of the company with both customers and vendors
- Offering counsel on a variety of legal issues and where appropriate, liaising with outside counsel as required
- Tracking and advising on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different deals
- Managing the Cap Table and Option Plan documents
- Assist with regulatory filings
- Researching and anticipating unique legal issues that could impact the company
- Reviewing advertising and marketing materials to ensure that they are in compliance with legal requirements
- Providing training to and working alongside other departments in the company on legal topics
- Working with the Security Team on compliance requirements
What you should have:
- Must have a law degree from a recognized university and be currently admitted to a recognized Canadian Law Society
- Must have 3+ years of experience gained in a large law firm and/or in-house with a mid-sized entity
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization
- Good business sense and an ability to think and provide advice on a practical basis
- A broad range of experience (Contract/Employment/Corporate etc)
- Superior attention to detail, as well as strong analytical and risk mitigation skills
- Strong negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within the organization and across all business units
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- General familiarity with privacy regulations, including GDPR, HIPAA etc. would be an asset
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, high growth technology company and an open office environment (bonus points for SaaS experience!)
- Word, Excel, Google Docs (double bonus points for Carta!)
We could talk to you about our ping pong table, beer taps, yoga classes, and nap room, but, we know you’re looking for more than that. Instead, here are a few of the things that set us apart and make us the employer of choice for top talent in Canada and beyond:
- The chance to do work that matters on a product that truly changes lives. This is the place for driven people who want to make their mark.
- The freedom to choose your own path (and change it) to build a meaningful career that works for you.
- Excellent health and dental coverage, vacation time, parental leave options and education spending
- An RRSP matching program
- Regular games nights and team outings with the best coworkers you’ll ever work with
Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that ensuring diversity and inclusion will produce a better place to work and a better product. We encourage all candidates to apply.
You must be eligible to work in Canada.