At GoCardless, we’re passionate about payments. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best way to collect recurring payments, wherever they and their customers are in the world.
Today, we help over 55,000 businesses take the pain out of getting paid, so they can focus on what they do best. And through our partnerships with over 200 software providers such as Xero, Zuora, Salesforce and Quickbooks, more and more businesses are benefiting from our unique global payments platform every day. We process $15bn of payments a year across more than 30 countries, powering recurring payments for businesses worldwide, from multinational corporations to small businesses.
We’re headquartered in the UK, and backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Google Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners and Notion Capital. Over 400 employees worldwide have decided to develop their careers with us. We’ve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire and develop people who share our desire to do work we can be proud of. We value learning and feedback, and support colleagues to develop in their role and more broadly in their career.
Engineering at GoCardless
As an Engineering Manager in the Global Network Group, you’ll be helping us build the most creative and fulfilled product engineering team. You will lead talented and creative engineers who build products and systems they are proud of. You will push for exceptionally high-quality work and empower our engineers to make a big impact. As part of the Global Network Group, you’ll be leading teams working on problems that sit at the core of GoCardless, like orchestrating and keeping track of the movement of funds; and building and maintaining the bank and scheme integrations that make it possible to keep our merchants’ cash flowing.
We’re looking for a talented manager with a technical background who wants to focus on team leadership and people management. You will have responsibility for one or more teams of between 3 and 6 software engineers and you’ll work closely with commercial and operational stakeholders. In this role you will:
- Hire and develop great people
- Maintain a supportive and engaging team culture
- Insist on high standards of technical design and implementation and ensure your systems are operationally excellent
- Deliver project work while managing the expectations of your stakeholders
- Plan and prioritise impactful technical investment initiatives for your teams
You will also be a key contributor to:
- Improve hiring and recruitment processes
- Develop product objectives
- Ensure the security of our systems and working practices
- Contribute to the evolution of the organisation’s working practices
What we're looking for
Given the versatile nature of the role, we’re looking for someone who learns fast, enjoys leading and collaborating with others, and is a pragmatic decision-maker. This role would suit someone with previous management experience or a technical leader who wants people management responsibilities.
We'd love to hear from you if you are:
- Passionate about building motivated, high performing teams
- An effective communicator, able to communicate technical topics to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experienced in partnering with PMs and other functions to deliver successful software products
- Committed to building reliable, well-tested systems
- Enthusiastic about working in a strong culture of testing and code review
- Qualified with a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
Life at GoCardless
Diversity is hugely important to us and we welcome applications from those with disabilities and from under-represented backgrounds. Throughout our hiring and onboarding process we make any reasonable adjustments necessary to create a level playing field and continually look at how we can improve in this area. We also have active ‘employee resource groups’ (such a BEAM and Rainbow) that are supported and sponsored by members of our Exec team; they work to engage and inspire our employees on diversity & inclusion topics throughout the year.
We offer flexible working hours and remote working arrangements, enhanced parental leave and pension packages. You’ll also receive equity, because we believe having this ‘buy in’ is a vital part of building a successful business where everybody - regardless of their role - can make a valuable contribution.
The COVID-19 pandemic has seen everybody at GoCardless shift to remote working and this is something we’ll continue to do into 2021. We continually review this approach in conjunction with the changing restrictions in each of our locations; additionally we offer support to maintain wellbeing and comfort, including subsidised home office equipment, workstation assessments and a range of remote social activities you can dip in and out of whenever you fancy.