At GoCardless, we’re passionate about payments. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best way to collect recurring payments, wherever they and their customers are in the world.
Today, we help over 60,000 businesses take the pain out of getting paid, so they can focus on what they do best. And through our partnerships with over 200 software providers such as Xero, Zuora, Salesforce and Quickbooks, more and more businesses are benefiting from our unique global payments platform every day. We process $15bn of payments a year across more than 30 countries, powering recurring payments for businesses worldwide, from multinational corporations to small businesses.
We’re headquartered in the UK, and backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Google Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners, Notion Capital and Bain Capital. Over 500 employees worldwide have decided to develop their careers with us. We’ve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire and develop people who share our desire to do work we can be proud of. We value learning and feedback, and support colleagues to develop in their role and more broadly in their career.
We are looking for an IT Engineering Manager to help us build and support the most creative, fulfilled and customer focused team.
The IT Team at GoCardless cares deeply about the experience we provide, from day one, we act with people’s best interest at heart: we enable GoCardless’ employees’ to focus on what matters most to them either automating daily needs or enabling them to self-serve, we provide them with the best tools to do their best work in autonomy and we wrap this all in a world class support experience.
We are on a mission to enable and empower everyone at GoCardless to do their best work through innovation - with simple, reliable tools wrapped in world class support.
As IT Engineering Manager you will be looking after our team of IT Engineers, leading and developing talented and creative engineers who integrate and build products and systems they are proud of. You will push for exceptionally high quality work and empower our engineers to make a big impact. You will be passionate about the growth and development of your team.
You will have a high level view of the current status of systems and a deep understanding of how they connect with each other under the hood. You are comfortable in looking at data to develop, plan and execute large scale (company-wide) projects to automate, streamline and generally improve how our employees interact with our systems; optimising for growth and scale.
You will be planning for the future and ensuring we have the infrastructure required to support our explosive growth. In this role you will also be responsible for day to day management and improvements of the tools that our teams use to communicate and stay productive, including Google Workspace, Slack and a number of other modern collaboration tools.
The ideal candidate would be excited by interesting challenges, from automation to optimising for growth, to scaling out IT Engineering for several hundreds (or thousands!) of employees across multiple locations.
This role will report directly to the Head of Business Systems and IT.
In this role you will:
- Plan for future expansion with a focus on growth and scale
- Hire and develop great people, whilst supporting and maintaining a supportive and engaging team culture
- Drive high standards of technical design and implementation and ensure your systems are operationally excellent
- Work alongside internal and external stakeholders to identify, prioritise and deliver impactful strategic objectives
- You’ll lead and participate in IT projects focusing on delivering a solution or technical improvement
- You’ll be an escalation point for our IT Engineering Team for our collaboration and productivity tools.
You will also be a contributor to:
- Improving our hiring and recruitment processes
- Ensuring the security and privacy of our systems and applications
- Growing and scaling our core application stack
- Finding and onboarding new systems and vendors that enable our customers to be as productive as possible
- Establishing and growing our SaaS management capabilities to better discover, manage and secure the core stack
Who we're looking for
Given the versatile nature of the role, we’re looking for someone who learns fast, enjoys leading and collaborating with others, and is a pragmatic decision-maker. This role would suit someone with previous management experience or a technical leader who wants people management responsibilities.
We'd love to hear from you if you are:
- Passionate about building motivated, high performing teams
- Expert level knowledge and experience of device management, cloud based SaaS applications and SSO/IDP, with knowledge of best practices around engineering, data security and identity
- You care deeply about outstanding user experience
- Experienced with partnering with various stakeholders to deliver successful solutions
- You’re a team player and enjoy working towards a common mission
- An effective communicator, able to communicate technical topics to technical and non-technical audiences
Even if your experience doesn’t tick all of the boxes, please apply - we’d love to hear from you.
Life at GoCardless
Diversity is hugely important to us and we welcome applications from those with disabilities and from under-represented backgrounds. Throughout our hiring and onboarding process we make any reasonable adjustments necessary to create a level playing field and continually look at how we can improve in this area. We also have active ‘employee resource groups’ (such a BEAM and Rainbow) that are supported and sponsored by members of our Exec team; they work to engage and inspire our employees on diversity & inclusion topics throughout the year.
We offer flexible working hours and remote working arrangements, enhanced parental leave and pension packages. You’ll also receive equity, because we believe having this ‘buy in’ is a vital part of building a successful business where everybody - regardless of their role - can make a valuable contribution.
Here at GoCardless we value flexibility, and throughout the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic we've listened to our global GeeCees to gain a better understanding of the positives and negatives of working remotely (which we've been doing since March 2020).
Their feedback helped us develop our 'Adaptive Working' model, rolling out mid to late 2021. It's built around three components: days in the office, remote working, and enhanced environments. This means teams will be able to come into a GC office between one and three days per week for collaboration and teamwork, with the rest spent working remotely to enable a healthy work/life balance. We’ll also be reimagining our office environments so they enhance the collaboration and socialisation aspects our GeeCees told us they value most highly.
We continually review this approach in conjunction with the changing restrictions in each of our locations; additionally we offer support to maintain wellbeing and comfort, including subsidised home office equipment, workstation assessments and a range of remote social activities you can dip in and out of whenever you fancy.