At GoCardless, we’re passionate about payments. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best way to collect recurring payments, wherever they and their customers are in the world.
Today, we help over 60,000 businesses take the pain out of getting paid, so they can focus on what they do best. And through our partnerships with over 200 software providers such as Xero, Zuora, Salesforce and Quickbooks, more and more businesses are benefiting from our unique global payments platform every day. We process $15bn of payments a year across more than 30 countries, powering recurring payments for businesses worldwide, from multinational corporations to small businesses.
We’re headquartered in the UK, and backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Google Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners, Notion Capital and Bain Capital. Over 500 employees worldwide have decided to develop their careers with us. We’ve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire and develop people who share our desire to do work we can be proud of. We value learning and feedback, and support colleagues to develop in their role and more broadly in their career.
We’re creating a new way to do Risk in Financial Services. We don’t do box-ticking, hide in our Risk corner in the office or employ an army of naysayers. We:
- are ready to serve everyone, if we wanted to - we ensure Risk does not constrain the business but empowers it to achieve its goals;
- automate everything we do - we don’t like inefficiencies nor do we believe that real risk mitigation is achieved by throwing people at the problem; and
- create the best possible customer experience - we want our customers (both internal and external) to look forward to going through our processes.
The legal and compliance teams are at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion - both domestically and abroad. They must ensure that GoCardless adopts, implements and maintains innovative and appropriate processes and controls, often coming across new challenges or issues that require innovative solutions.
You’ll support the Regulatory Team in ensuring that we design, maintain and undertake a robust and appropriate second level control and assurance framework that helps to protect GoCardless. Being keen to increase operational efficiency and harmonize the assurance framework across all locations, you will take a proactive approach - finding and implementing new tools and technologies to drive efficiencies, looking for synergies with other teams, setting or identifying best practices.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Contributing to design of the second level control & assurance programme, using market intelligence to seek out best practices and defining and implementing relevant controls on all of the company's risk areas, in collaboration with risk owners.
- Planning and carrying out recurring or one-off assurance testing in autonomy and within the agreed timeline;
- Contributing to the improvement of the company’s control & assurance framework by formulating value-added proposals to remedy the inefficiencies / failures observed;
- Monitoring the implementation of recommendations arisen from control & assurance testing;
- Contributing to develop a first class control & assurance tool which can be rolled out in every location of the GoCardless group;
- Being proactive in the automation of controls and harmonization of control practices within GoCardless;
- Participating in the production of key risk indicators intended for GoCardless’ senior management team and other stakeholders;
What we're looking for
We’re looking for someone with experience in a regulated financial institution, who is passionate about moving to a fast-paced fintech startup.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You like keeping to deadlines, even when you set them yourself.
- You have worked in the world of regulation - within a compliance assurance/monitoring team, risk management, audit function or consultancy.
- You’ve got good operational knowledge of implementing compliance monitoring/assurance methodologies, from design to implementation.
- You enjoy finding and implementing new tools and technologies to drive efficiencies.
- You savour a challenge, don’t get disheartened easily and drive projects through to completion.
- Your communication skills are first class, and you are able to distil complex and cumbersome matters into understandable English.
- You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding young company.
Bonus points if:
- You’ve got knowledge of the payments space, the key players and networks.
- You have experienced a fast-growth journey (in a company growing 50%+ YoY).
- You are a project-management pro, handling gantt charts with ease.
We recognise that the most talented people have the most unusual backgrounds, so if you’re unsure, please apply.
Life at GoCardless
Diversity is hugely important to us and we welcome applications from those with disabilities and from under-represented backgrounds. Throughout our hiring and onboarding process we make any reasonable adjustments necessary to create a level playing field and continually look at how we can improve in this area. We also have active ‘employee resource groups’ (such a BEAM and Rainbow) that are supported and sponsored by members of our Exec team; they work to engage and inspire our employees on diversity & inclusion topics throughout the year.
We offer flexible working hours and remote working arrangements, enhanced parental leave and pension packages. You’ll also receive equity, because we believe having this ‘buy in’ is a vital part of building a successful business where everybody - regardless of their role - can make a valuable contribution.
Here at GoCardless we value flexibility, and throughout the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic we've listened to our global GeeCees to gain a better understanding of the positives and negatives of working remotely (which we've been doing since March 2020).
Their feedback helped us develop our 'Adaptive Working' model, rolling out mid to late 2021. It's built around three components: days in the office, remote working, and enhanced environments. This means teams will be able to come into a GC office between one and three days per week for collaboration and teamwork, with the rest spent working remotely to enable a healthy work/life balance. We’ll also be reimagining our office environments so they enhance the collaboration and socialisation aspects our GeeCees told us they value most highly.
We continually review this approach in conjunction with the changing restrictions in each of our locations; additionally we offer support to maintain wellbeing and comfort, including subsidised home office equipment, workstation assessments and a range of remote social activities you can dip in and out of whenever you fancy.