At GoCardless, we’re passionate about payments. Our vision is to provide businesses with the best way to collect recurring payments, wherever they and their customers are in the world.
Today, we help over 60,000 businesses take the pain out of getting paid, so they can focus on what they do best. And through our partnerships with over 200 software providers such as Xero, Zuora, Salesforce and Quickbooks, more and more businesses are benefiting from our unique global payments platform every day. We process $15bn of payments a year across more than 30 countries, powering recurring payments for businesses worldwide, from multinational corporations to small businesses.
We’re headquartered in the UK, and backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Google Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Balderton Capital, Accel Partners and Notion Capital. Over 400 employees worldwide have decided to develop their careers with us. We’ve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we hire and develop people who share our desire to do work we can be proud of. We value learning and feedback, and support colleagues to develop in their role and more broadly in their career.
The Credit Risk team
Be a part of building a world-class credit risk function at a cutting-edge, dynamic and high growth fintech company. The Credit Risk team must ensure that GoCardless adopts, implements and maintains innovative and appropriate credit controls with the aim of managing credit losses whilst supporting company growth.
As a Senior Credit Analyst, you will be on the front-line of underwriting GoCardless’ merchant base. Ensuring that:
- A merchants’ creditworthiness, new and existing, is within GoCardless’ appetite by carrying out qualitative and quantitative analysis and decisioning
- Risk conversations are communicated effectively to a wide range of stakeholders such as Sales, Risk, Product leaders and C-Suite
- Helping to build out our credit assessment functionality with a view to automate everything we do
We’re creating a new way to do Risk in Financial Services. We don’t do box-ticking, hide in our Risk corner in the office or employ an army of naysayers. We -
- ...are ready to serve everyone, if we wanted to - we ensure Risk does not constrain the business but unlocks the potential to serve everyone and achieve our goals while providing the business with a safety net
- ...automate everything we do - we don’t like inefficiencies and believe real risk mitigation cannot be done by throwing people at the problem
- ...create the best possible customer experience - we want our customers (both internal and external) to feel they cannot wait to go through our processes
What you will be doing
- Responsible for reviewing financial statements, commercial credit tools and qualitative information to conduct detailed investigations into merchant creditworthiness
- Provide concise decisioning which minimises GoCardless’ financial exposure while supporting overall company growth
- Communicate effectively to key stakeholders across the business from merchants to sales leads and risk
- Driving change to optimise the way we assess creditworthiness, ensuring everything we do is scalable and provides the best customer experience
- Monitoring our client base and ensuring we have the right level of mitigation to protect GoCardless
- Updating internal processes and working with stakeholders to ensure our credit requirements are clear
What we are looking for
- Experience within business credit risk, ideally at a fast-paced technology or financial services
- Excellent ability reading financial statements and credit documentation
- An excellent communicator who can articulate credit decisions and has the ability to influence stakeholders at all levels across the company
- A strong track record of driving change to improve processes and is always striving for simplicity and efficiency
- A creative mindset with the ability to think outside of the box to suggest solutions to fix problems
- Naturally curious and passionate about credit risk: if a process is broken, you want to investigate what’s going on and solve root problems. You’re not happy to accept “that’s how things have always been done”
- You’re a self-starter and thrive in a high-pressure environment
- Flawless command of English (written and verbal)
- A degree in a relevant discipline (Accounting, Business, Finance)
Bonus points for:
- Experience within a payments company
- Fluent in German, French or Spanish
- SQL skills
Life at GoCardless
Diversity is hugely important to us and we welcome applications from those with disabilities and from under-represented backgrounds. Throughout our hiring and onboarding process we make any reasonable adjustments necessary to create a level playing field and continually look at how we can improve in this area. We also have active ‘employee resource groups’ (such a BEAM and Rainbow) that are supported and sponsored by members of our Exec team; they work to engage and inspire our employees on diversity & inclusion topics throughout the year.
We offer flexible working hours and remote working arrangements, enhanced parental leave and pension packages. You’ll also receive equity, because we believe having this ‘buy in’ is a vital part of building a successful business where everybody - regardless of their role - can make a valuable contribution.
The COVID-19 pandemic has seen everybody at GoCardless shift to remote working and this is something we’ll continue to do into 2021. We continually review this approach in conjunction with the changing restrictions in each of our locations; additionally we offer support to maintain wellbeing and comfort, including subsidised home office equipment, workstation assessments and a range of remote social activities you can dip in and out of whenever you fancy.