GoCardless’ vision is to build a global connected payments network, making payments simpler on the internet no matter what country you’re in or what software you’re using.
Today, we help over 60,000 businesses across the UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and North America to collect payments, and we’re growing fast. We have offices in the UK, France, Germany, Australia, and the US. Our strategic partnerships with market-leading platforms such as Zuora, Xero and Chargebee have been critical to our global success and have allowed us to work with a huge range of organisations: small gyms and scout groups use us to reduce admin; fast growing companies like Funding Circle use us to power their growth; established institutions like The Guardian use us to dramatically reduce failure rates.
Our HQ is in London and we’re backed by some of the world’s leading investors including Balderton Capital, Accel Partners, Notion Capital, Passion Capital, Salesforce Ventures, Adams Street Partners, GV and Y Combinator.
The mission of the Environmental Sustainability Manager is to achieve net zero carbon emission for GoCardless, an ambitious goal that is very important to the company.
GoCardless is part of the TechZero Taskforce, a taskforce of tech businesses in London pledging to achieve net zero emissions and convince other companies and consumers to do the same. As part of this effort we are pledging to measure all of our carbon emissions (Scope 1, 2 and 3), setting an ambitious target for net zero emissions and executing fast against it.
As Environmental Sustainability Manager, you will report into the Chief Financial Officer, and lead our work in this area, by building from scratch our environmental sustainability capabilities including:
- Measuring on a yearly basis our carbon emissions for Scope 1, 2 and 3, where needed by engaging with consulting companies
- Independently defining a plan to help GoCardless achieve net zero emissions, by analyzing and prioritizing key initiatives that would achieve emission reductions most effectively
- Executing the initiatives in this plan by coordinating cross-functionally with the teams that are responsible for impacted areas of the business (e.g., office team, supplier management). This may include:
- Defining environmental sustainability policies and overseeing their applications
- Project managing initiatives from other teams
- Directly driving specific initiatives
- Managing our participation in the TechZero taskforce and any other external initiative and pledge for environmental sustainability
- Working with the office team to bring all our 6 office to net zero
- Helping vet our suppliers based on their carbon emissions, and either influence the supplier selection or work with the suppliers to reduce their emissions
- Engaging the executive team on key decisions
- Communicating to the leadership team and the organization at large key updates on our environmental sustainability effort
- Manage external reporting, both voluntary and regulatory
- Corralling support from the organization
- Ultimately, achieving our net zero targets
What we are looking for
- Experience in driving environmental sustainability programmes
- Experience delivering strategic or transformational programmes
- Proven ability to manage multiple stakeholders across various geographies, including senior stakeholders, and be able to negotiate among conflicting priorities
- Creativity in designing environmental initiatives
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Structured thinker with ability to frame and solve unstructured problems
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Strong team player
- Experience in fast growing tech scale ups is highly desirable
- Any certification in environmental sustainability (e.g., ISO 14001 Environmental Management standard,BREEAM, etc.) is appreciated
Our team comes from a variety of backgrounds and we welcome diversity – if you're unsure, please apply.