Lead the regulatory compliance team at a cutting-edge, dynamic and high-growth fintech company.
GoCardless processes billions in payments each year. Over 50,000 businesses across the UK and beyond rely on us to handle their payments, and many more sign up every week. As we look to the future, those businesses will be larger, more demanding, and present in multiple countries - and so will we. We are responsible for helping drive forward this expansion, and fulfilling our obligations to our regulators and partners, all whilst providing the best possible experience for our merchants.
We’re approaching ‘Risk’ in Financial Services in a new way. We:
- are ready to serve everyone, if we wanted to - we ensure Risk does not constrain the business but empowers it to achieve its goals;
- automate everything we do - we don’t like inefficiencies nor do we believe that real risk mitigation is achieved by throwing people at the problem; and
- create the best possible customer experience - we want our customers (both internal and external) to look forward to going through our processes.
The legal and compliance teams are at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion - both domestically and abroad. They must ensure that GoCardless adopts, implements and maintains innovative and appropriate processes and controls, often coming across new challenges or issues that require innovative solutions.
You will be responsible for setting the regulatory compliance agenda within GoCardless. You will take a consultative approach and work closely with every business division to implement and manage an innovative and practical, yet thorough, regulatory compliance regime.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Surveying and interpreting our regulatory and broader risk landscape, both domestically and internationally.
- Working with senior managers across the business to establish and execute a world-class compliance framework, monitoring and training programme, focused on ensuring cross-company understanding and ownership of regulatory risk.
- Management of our regulatory licences across the globe, including applying for and maintaining new licences in the US and beyond.
- Managing regulatory oversight, controls, reporting and engagement globally.
- Reporting to management and board committees as the risk owner for regulatory compliance.
- Being the ultimate point of escalation for regulatory issues.
- Monitoring, testing and reporting on the effectiveness of the programme.
- Constantly driving for improvement in efficiency and risk management.
- Championing and driving adoption of industry standard certifications, where appropriate.
- Building a great international team and developing talent.
What we're looking for
We’re looking for someone with experience in a regulated financial institution, or other corporate, and who is passionate about moving to a fast-paced fintech startup. You will be driven and able to work independently, while taking a consultative approach in an area that can be seen as inhibitive to business.
You may be an experienced financial services regulatory manager, coming from a larger organisation and looking for an exciting new challenge, or perhaps you have already been through a high-growth journey in a similar role, and are excited about taking on similar challenges in an exciting company with a great culture.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You can see, and explain how new regulations coming into play will impact the business’ products and expansion plans.
- You have dealt directly with financial services regulation and regulators.
- You have experience in drafting, implementing and rolling out compliance plans, frameworks and policies across a company or department, and preferably centrally rather than following a central policy locally.
- Your risk radar is finely tuned and you work tirelessly to mitigate that risk.
- You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding young company.
- You’ve scaled a compliance function through international expansion, and have managed high-performing teams.
- You’ve operated in an environment with multiple regulators having different reporting requirements.
- Can operate at a strategic level and demonstrate the value of compliance.
- Your communication skills are first class, and you are able to distil complex and cumbersome regulation into understandable English.
Bonus points if:
- You’ve built a compliance function from the ground up.
- You have experience in payments.
- You have experience in the US.
- You have experienced a fast-growth journey (in a company growing 50%+ YoY).
We recognise that the most talented people have the most unusual backgrounds, so if you’re unsure, please apply. The role will be based in London and might require a small amount of international travel.