GoCardless is growing fast. We’ve built a world-class product that opens up Direct Debit to small and medium-sized businesses across the UK and beyond, and we have recently extended our offering to multinational companies like the Guardian, TripAdvisor and Box. Thousands of businesses in the UK already rely on us to handle their payments, and hundreds more join us every week. About a third of these never previously had access to Direct Debit, so we are transforming the way they do business.
We’re looking for an exceptional Senior Engineering Manager with exposure to security and privacy engineering to help GoCardless scale and automate our security function. We see the security and privacy engineering team to be a key enabler for our product development. Working with other functions in engineering and the wider product development group, you will be instrumental in building best in class secure, privacy aware features.
Security and Privacy Engineering is a key part of our product development approach. GoCardless cares deeply about keeping our customers secure and their data well managed. We act with people’s best interest at heart: we take responsibility for all of the security and privacy in our product delivery
You will be involved in improving our security tooling and processes and most of all scaling the team to help with our future product development. We believe that technology should make us more effective, so the focus in security engineering will be in automating processes and keeping tools and applications updated.
In this role you will:
- develop great people
- maintain a supportive and engaging team culture
- insist on high standards of technical design and implementation and ensure your systems are operationally excellent
- implement and enhance the long term security and privacy engineering strategy
- focus on application and operations security engineering, building capability in both disciplines
- enable a security and privacy mind set in all of product development, especially engineering
- plan and prioritise impactful technical investment initiatives
You will also be a key contributor to:
- overall policy for security and privacy
- keep our product highly secure and ensure best security and privacy development practices
- improve hiring and recruitment processes
- automation of tooling
- ensure the security of our systems and working practices
- ensure we conform with standards, including but not limited to ISO27001 compliance
What we have to offer
Among other things:
- Focus on your growth and development: regular discussions with your manager about your personal goals, feedback, coaching, learning and conference budget.
- A clear career progression: paths for managers and individual contributors, opportunities for growth and leadership aligned to our competencies framework.
- Ownership and autonomy: we give people problems to solve rather than specifications to implement, end to end ownership (deciding on the solution, implementing it, releasing it, maintaining it)
- Good work-life balance
Who we're looking for
Given the versatile nature of the role, we’re looking for someone who learns fast, enjoys leading and collaborating with others, and is a pragmatic decision-maker.
This role would suit someone with senior management experience focussed on strategy and people management responsibility with a passion for security and privacy.
We'd love to hear from you if you are:
- Passionate about building motivated, highly performing teams
- Experienced in building security engineering teams in fast growing organisations
Our team come from a variety of backgrounds and we welcome diversity – if you're unsure, please apply.