GoCardless processes billions in payments each year. Tens of thousands of businesses across the UK and beyond rely on us to handle their payments, and hundreds more sign up every week. As we look to the future, those businesses will be larger, more demanding, and present in multiple countries - and so will we. We are responsible for ensuring that our products and services do not facilitate money laundering or terrorism financing, and that we fulfil our obligations to our regulators and partners, such as our banking partners, all whilst providing the best possible experience for our merchants, and enabling our business to scale.
The Legal and Compliance team are at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion - both domestically and abroad, and must ensure that GoCardless adopts, implements and maintains innovative and appropriate processes and controls.
We are looking for a Deputy MLRO to ensure effective Anti-Money Laundering / Counter Terrorism Financing (AML/CTF) systems and controls are in place at a cutting-edge, dynamic and high-growth fintech company.
You will be responsible for helping to set the money laundering agenda within GoCardless. You will take a consultative approach and work closely with every business division to implement and manage a comprehensive and proportionate to the nature, scale and complexity, AML/CTF framework.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Ensuring that GoCardless remains up to date with relevant regulatory developments
- Carrying out a regular ML/TF risk assessment of GoCardless’ business
- Coordinating the implementation of standards, policies and guidance, and ensuring these are being communicated effectively to all relevant staff
- Advising our Compliance Operations team on the development and maintenance of AML/CTF procedures to ensure we stay true to our policies
- Identifying deficiencies in policies, procedures, systems or controls relating to ML/TF and implementing remedial actions to address such deficiencies
- Reviewing potential / existing high risk relationships and transactions
- Determining whether or not suspicious activity reports have substance and require disclosure to the relevant authorities
- Conducting an annual assessment of training and awareness needs, and implementing, together with the MLRO, an effective company-wide training programme
- Conducting regular monitoring, testing and reporting on the effectiveness of the AML/CTF programme, including system and tools, and day to day operations
- Preparing regular management information reports for distribution to the MLRO and Senior Management
- Lead GoCardless’ review of and response to relevant regulator and industry body consultations
- Supporting the MLRO in meetings with external auditors and regulators
- Deputise for the MLRO in their absence
What we're looking for
We’re looking for someone with relevant experience in a regulated financial institution, and who is passionate about moving to a fast-paced fintech startup. You will be driven and able to work independently, while taking a consultative approach in an area that can be seen as inhibitive to business. You are an experienced AML professional, looking to shape the AML/CTF function at a growing company.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You can say how new regulations coming into play will impact the business’ products and expansion plans
- You’ve operated in an environment with multiple regulatory requirements
- You have experience in drafting, implementing and rolling out AML/CTF frameworks and policies
- You’re constantly driving for improvement, efficiency and risk management
- Your risk radar is finely tuned and you work tirelessly to mitigate identified risks
- Your communication skills are first class, and you are able to distil complex and cumbersome regulation into understandable English
- You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding young company
Bonus points if:
- You’ve supported assessing and implementing regulatory requirements across multiple geographies
- You’ve designed/maintained AML/CTF processes and procedures
- You’ve in depth knowledge of non-UK regulatory requirements
- You’ve overseen the validation of AML/CTF tools/scenarios (design and performance)
- You’ve been responsible for overseeing KYC/sanctions checks and/or conducted investigations
- You have relevant professional qualifications (e.g. ACAMS or ICA AML qualifications)