Manage and execute our critical FX and payment processes.
We’ve built a world-class product that simplifies Direct Debit and opens it up to thousands of businesses globally. Processing over £6 billion worth of payments a year, across 29 countries, GoCardless is growing fast. But why stop there? We’re working on expanding our product offering into even more countries, and as a part of this expansion we are building cross border payments and foreign exchange (FX) capabilities. We are looking for a dedicated individual to join our Payments Operations Team to help us get there.
Your primary responsibility will be our FX processes and cross border payments. You will be responsible for the day to day running of our worldwide FX processes. Since this is a brand new initiative for GoCardless, contributing your FX knowledge will be crucial in building these processes from scratch as well as shaping the operating model.
Your secondary responsibility will be handling our critical domestic payment processing for a set of specific countries. Customers rely on us to process their payments correctly, so it’s vital that you can ensure timely, accurate and compliant payment processing and take care of any manual interventions required.
All these processes are the core part of GoCardless that makes sure money gets from A to B every day on time, every time. You will interact with a number of internal teams, such as Finance, Customer Support and Engineering, as well as communicating with external teams within our banks and suppliers, so a strong sense of teamwork and excellent communication is essential.
This is a broad role that will allow you to share your FX knowledge, as well as gain further insight into the Direct Debit payments space.
A typical day will include:
- Processing daily international payment and monitoring that all payments are executed at the correct FX rate and processed on time
- Monitoring and managing account balances and forecasting liquidity requirements in close cooperation with Finance
- Investigating FX related issues
- Liaising with our FX supplier. You are the primary day to day contact
- Running daily processes to collect payments across multiple Direct Debit schemes
- Reconciling bank accounts, and handling discrepancies to ensure customer and business funds have been collected and distributed correctly
- Reporting on process timings and volumes, in particular our FX processes
- Handling customer payment queries from a number of different teams and ad-hoc requests from banks and internal teams
- Documenting team processes to enhance and share knowledge across GoCardless
- Working closely with our Product and Engineering team to improve systems and processes
As we are expanding internationally, shift work will be required in future to make sure we can process payments across different time zones in the best way possible for our customers.
The ideal candidate:
- You have experience working in a FX middle or back office and handling FX trade queries
- You understand the foreign exchange market, the dynamics driving the market and the key players
- You have a proven track record of building and improving complex FX processes
- You have a good cash management skills and a good understanding of the Treasury function
- You have strong data analytical skills and a basic level of modelling skills
- If you're asked to choose between process charts and spreadsheets you are in trouble -- you love both!
- You can think on your feet and quickly identify solutions to a problem even under pressure
- You don’t lose attention to detail and always look for ways to improve - even if the task is repetitive
- You are flexible and comfortable working in a fast-paced, changing environment
- You can prioritise multiple tasks and switch between them effortlessly
- You are proactive and can work with a tremendous sense of urgency when the situation requires it
Knowledge of Direct Debit and bank to bank payments is a plus but not a requirement. We will teach you everything you need to know.
Our team comes from a variety of backgrounds and we welcome diversity – if you're unsure, please apply.