Drive the business and jump novel legal hurdles at a cutting-edge, dynamic and high-growth fintech company.
GoCardless processes billions in payments each year. Tens of thousands of businesses across the UK and beyond rely on us to handle their payments, and hundreds more sign up every week. As we look to the future, those businesses will be larger, more demanding, and present in multiple countries - and so will we.
The legal team are at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion and scaling - both domestically and abroad. We enable the business to move into new markets and geographies, often dealing with novel issues along the way. This is all whilst ensuring that deals get done at scale, and that the multitude of other issues that arise at a scale-up are dealt with appropriately.
The team is seen as an enabler, not a blocker, and we would like to keep it that way.
As Legal Counsel, you will focus on a number of legal areas - from planning for and enabling our expansion into new geographies and markets, through to supporting and advising all teams across the business.
You will take a consultative approach and work closely with every business division - never working alone, or able to concentrate on purely legal issues. We’re a fast-growing business, and your focus is to work closely with the rest of the legal team to enable that business to grow - in the right way.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Supporting and advising every team from across the business - sales, marketing, people, product and operations
- Helping develop our international expansion - evaluating regimes and market opportunities, before devising and executing entry plans
- Instructing and managing domestic and international external legal counsel
- Putting in place new, and improving existing legal processes and training practices - aiming to put yourself and the legal team out of many ‘legal jobs’ wherever possible
- Focusing on constant process improvement related to high volume work - for example by iterating our contracting automation and management workflows
- Helping to measure the legal team’s performance
- Helping manage our IP portfolio
- Working on both large and small corporate transactions and getting involved with company secretarial work
- Being prepared to deal with any legal issue, at any time
What we're looking for
We’re looking for a lawyer with exceptional private practice training, followed by in-house experience in a fast-paced environment. You will be driven and able to work independently, and able to apply your existing knowledge and approach across a very wide range of legal (and quasi-legal!) areas.
As a technology business, it helps if you have had experience in a similar area, or perhaps you have a keen interest in tech outside of your day to day work.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are a junior to mid-level lawyer
- You grasp new legal concepts quickly, and are not afraid to use your common sense
- You know what a KPI is
- Your communication skills are first class, and you are able to distil complex and cumbersome legalese into understandable English
- You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding growing company
Bonus points if:
- You have knowledge of FCA requirements
- You have experience with selling and supporting SaaS solutions
- You can explain what an API is
This role would ideally suit someone with experience in a fast-paced in-house team, who is looking to help shape the legal team at a growing, high-performing company. However, we recognise that the most talented people can have the most unusual backgrounds, so if you’re unsure, please apply. The role will be based in London.