Product quality is at the heart of everything that we do and always comes first. As our company is scaling up rapidly and extending to more categories and more customers, we need an R&D expert 1) to guard our Intellectual Property and 2) to lead all the technical aspects of what it takes to put a formula on the market. The position will report into Physical Product team, and will work closely with Product Development, Supply Chain and Quality team.
1. Formulation expertise:
- Advise on all Glossier formulations:
o What levels of ingredients to be used to be both safe and efficacious
o Be able to recommend on formulation to ensure stability
- Lead and analyze all formula testing, including Stability, Safety, Micro and Efficacy (consumer claim, clinical).
- Trouble shoot any formula issue and be able to lead the task-force to identify where the issue is coming from + advise on solutions
- Identify breakthrough actives from raw material suppliers and negotiate exclusivity
2. Contract Manufacturer strategy:
- Preserve and document Glossier's Intellectual Property by leading formula commercialization and documenting all manufacturing process for formulation and fill at CM sites
- Audit and provide assessment on Contract Manufacturer labs and manufacturing facilities on manufacturability, quality and reliability
- Determine the overall strategy vendor-wise according to the product category
- Lead the identification of who can be good partners according to projects
- Help identify ways to reduce costs from a formula standpoint
3. Scaling up & Tech transfer
- Control scale up at manufacturers from a process standpoint
- Control every pilot and production batches
- Lead all tech transfer to new manufacturers from a formulation standpoint (identify brief, debrief, monitor quality of batches vs. standard)
- Chemistry related degree required; Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Cosmetic Chemistry
- 5+ years of senior level experience developing products with formulation knowledge in various forms (e.g. OTC cosmetics, emulsions, serums, gels, dispersion, and the like)
- Experience lab work as formulator/ chemist in skincare in a must, color and hair a nice-to-have
- In-depth experience managing development from inception, through testing, scale up and transition to manufacturing.
- Experience in Contract Manufacturer or Brand
Glossier is a beauty brand inspired by what girls want in real life, made by editors who get what works. We test every beauty product under the sun, interview our icons, and are in constant conversation with our customers, community, and Into The Gloss readers. Everything we do is distilled into our essential, easy-to-use skincare and makeup products that enhance–never hide–your real skin.
Glossier lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, ships to the US, Puerto Rico, and Canada, and thinks you look nice today.