We’re hiring a Director of Data Products to elevate Glossier as an inviting, fun way to buy beauty products. You’ll join a team focused on building a delightful e-commerce and in-store experience, and fostering the most welcoming community to discuss skin care and makeup.
At Glossier, we work in product teams that ship features to production early, then iterate based on internal and customer feedback. We pay attention to performance, write tests for our code, and care about design. We are also mindful of building an inclusive culture, where decisions are made transparently and we support each other's learning and growth.
Our data stack
- Luigi for ETLs
- GraphQL for our APIs
- AWS to host our infrastructure
- Postgres, Redis, and Redshift
In this role, during your first month you’ll:
- Connect with an onboarding buddy, who’ll help you settle in by introducing you to team members throughout Glossier.
- Learn about and help expand upon Glossier’s data and research philosophy. Define what it means to be a Data Scientist and Data Engineer at Glossier.
- Make a contribution to the Data Warehouse while learning about our data pipeline, data infrastructure, and existing models.
- Get to know the engineers, data scientists, and managers who’ll be reporting to you by facilitating handoffs with their previous manager.
During your first three months you’ll:
- Partner with stakeholders to identify the most critical business needs.
- Develop a nascent research agenda from which you’ll form a roadmap of data products that will support the business to better manage their use of data in informing strategy.
- Design a machine learning model to influence decision making within the business, better enabling teams to achieve their strategic priorities.
- Look for opportunities to improve the experience of working at Glossier. We're always interested in trying techniques that build communication and trust in the team.
- Set personal development goals, both for you and your reports.
During your first year you’ll:
- Be a part of incredible product launches that change the way people talk about beauty online.
- Give clear and actionable feedback to leaders at Glossier, and train them on how to do the same for their reports.
- Be a flag-bearer of our diverse and inclusive culture.
- Build the team by finding amazing data scientists and improving our interview experience.
- Advocate and evangelize for the use of data to make strategic decisions, but balance enthusiasm with a nod to inclusion and a creative standards.
- Contribute to Glossier's presence in the technology community through speaking engagements, industry meet-ups, or writing articles for our blog.
- Have a reputation for being inclusive, innovative, clever, fun, and thoughtful. :)
- Have experience with managers reporting into you, or you’re ready to take the step up.
- Take initiative and are motivated by working in a fast-growing, dynamic, and iterative environment.
- Are inspired by the Glossier brand.
About your application and the interview process
If you’re unsure about your qualifications for this position, we still encourage you to apply. We’re looking for candidates who have experience, but know that not everyone’s had a chance to work with the technologies in our stack. What’s most important is that you have a growth mindset, and know how to reliably ship software and data products.
Our interview process typically involves a phone screen with an internal recruiter, followed by an exploratory conversation with our CTO. After that, we’ll invite you to our offices for an on-site interview on a range of technical and interpersonal topics. One of our interviews involves pair programming – we want to see what it’s like to work with you on problems you might encounter in the real world. We know that live coding can be stressful at times, and will do our best to craft a friendly and collaborative experience.
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, and promotes a skincare-first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.